Transferring A 12" Round Cake Covered In Fondant...

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 1 May 2010 , 3:14am by Rose_N_Crantz

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:07am
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone! What is the best way to transfer a 12" round fondant covered cake without wrecking it? I want to cover it in fondant on a seperate board so that I don't mess up my fondant covered board. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

12 replies
adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:17am
post #2 of 13

I gently push it to the edge of the table and then handle it from underneath. That's one of the great things about fondant...it can be gently handled...
otherwise...use a giant spatula. Wilton sells one which is about 9" wide....but not to carry the cake, just to get underneath it. When you place it somewhere else, put a cake pan that is smaller underneath it, so that you can easily pick it up again...

and....to get it on top of the tier below without a htich...
dowel your bottom tier, but don't push the dowels in all the way. (I leave them sticking out about 2")
then just put your top tier on the dowels and watch them gently sink into place.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:31am
post #3 of 13

Tip: cover your board with fondant a couple days ahead of time so it dries and you don"t have to worry about messing it up.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:41am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Tip: cover your board with fondant a couple days ahead of time so it dries and you don"t have to worry about messing it up.

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks guys! My 12" round is going to be the bottom tier (so I have to put it on the fondant covered board). Awesome tip about the dowels! Thanks so much!

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:17am
post #6 of 13

Sorry it's me again. I'm still really nervous about transferring this 12" cake. I'm making the wedding cake this week and I've never made a 12" cake before. I have to cover it with fondant on a different board (so that I don't leave cut marks in the fondant on the cake board) then move it to my fodant-covered board (that I'm going to cover a couple days in advance). Can I just do this by pushing it off the one cake board onto the other or is this going to weck the cake? I'm scared to use the cake spatula thing because it's only about 8" across and the cake may break. Please help!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:27am
post #7 of 13

You should have a 12" cardboard under the 12" cake. This is what you slip the spatula under and lift a teeny bit to get your hand underneath. Then you place it to where it's gonna go. The cake never comes off the cardboard you originally placed it on before you iced and put on fondant.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:33am
post #8 of 13

Oh my Gosh, Rose_N_Crantz, thank you so much! Why didn't I realize that! Even if it's going to be the bottom tier right? So there will really be a 12" board under the 12" cake then a 14 or 16" board under that? Thank you so much!!!

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #9 of 13

Okay, just thought of something else though... Since I'm putting the cake onto the cake base with a cake board underneath the cake, how do you make it so it won't slide right off the cake base? I hope you know what I mean.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:39am
post #10 of 13

And.. my cake base is wooden (and covered in fanci foil) so the dowel that goes through the entire cake won't penetrate it. Ahhhh! I so hope you're still there Rose_N_Crantz to help me with this.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:54am
post #11 of 13

Rose said what I was gonna say...and then if the 12" cake is the bottom, I use royal icing to stick it to a fondant covered board, or carpet tape to stick it to a foil covered board.

Its okay if your dowel does not go through the wooden base. If its held securely by either royal icing (fondant board) or carpet tape (foil covered board) then it won't slide off.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:09am
post #12 of 13

Thank you so much Kitagirl and Rose_N_Crantz! You guys are the best. I really don't know what I would've done without your help.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:14am
post #13 of 13

You could use some icing under the 12" to help glue it to the 14/16" board. But when I did a large cake on a wooden board (not sure of the size as it was carved), I used a cardboard under the actual cake too and just the sheer weight of the cake helped keep it in place.

But, if you're unsure, glue it in place with some icing. It sure doesn't hurt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%