Free Airbrush???

Decorating By lecrn Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm by lecrn

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:05am
post #1 of 9

I have a request for a 4 tier fondant cake covered with luster dust. I informed the person that in order for the cake to look the best, it needed to be airbrushed (instead of brushed on). I also suggested pearl crystal color dust b/c it's FDA approved. I had no intention of airbrushing, but I will be given one as a gift to make this cake if I so choose! I have several questions:

How difficult is it to airbrush a smooth finish onto a cake? I plan on practicing some, but don't want to take it on if it takes an artist.
What's the best kind & best place to purchase from?

How do I know how much dust & vodka to buy? The cakes will be 14, 11, 8, & 6 rounds with alternating green & pink.

Should I buy corresponding pearl dust color (pink & green) or just a white pearl color?

Any & all advice appreciated!!

8 replies
ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:14am
post #2 of 9

Wish I can help try adding post somewhere else with more people traffic. Just make sure you delete this one first

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:25am
post #3 of 9

i would use the pearl airbrush colour over the coloured fondant on your tiers, it will just give the cake a pearlized finish yet the colour of the fondant will come through. This way youcan get your tiers stacked and then airbrush the whole thing.

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:43am
post #4 of 9

If you use the super pearl color it will lighten the pink and green colors some so I'd tint them a little darker than you actually want them. I airbrush whole cakes all the time. Not much to it. My biggest recommendation is that you mix the dust and the vodka all at once so that you have the same consistency all over the cake. I don't think it would take more than 2 containers of superpearl to cover the whole cake. FYI if you mix more liquid than you need, if you leave it to sit out, the alcohol evaporates and the dust will become dust again to be stored and used later.
My airbrush is an airmaster by Kopykake and it's run like a champ for 2 years now. HTH.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:18am
post #5 of 9

All I can say about air brushes is DON'T but a cheap one.

taliascott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taliascott Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:37am
post #6 of 9

I actually just did this a couple of weeks ago...I used the americolor pearl sheen right over my colored fondant and it worked like a charm!!! I have a kopykake airbrush...and it is super easy to do so don't worry about it being hard!!! Good luck!!!

lecrn Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:51pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

i would use the pearl airbrush colour over the coloured fondant on your tiers, it will just give the cake a pearlized finish yet the colour of the fondant will come through. This way youcan get your tiers stacked and then airbrush the whole thing.

After I posted the question, I noticed that there was pearlized Americolor airbrush color. I thought it would be much easier to use that as opposed to the powder mixed with vodka.
I was going to stack the bottom 2 tiers and assemble the other tiers on site. The tiers would be sprayed individually. If I do so, will I run the risk of leaving finger prints on the cake?

lecrn Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by taliascott

I actually just did this a couple of weeks ago...I used the americolor pearl sheen right over my colored fondant and it worked like a charm!!! I have a kopykake airbrush...and it is super easy to do so don't worry about it being hard!!! Good luck!!!

Thanks that's the one that I've been eyeing.
Do you use a moisture trap for the kopykake airbrush? I thought that I read somewhere that someone did. Does it come with it or separate?

lecrn Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 9

Just ordered the Airmaster. It will not be "free" just free for me to use. I can buy it back after the cake is made or it will be sold on ebay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%