Icing--5 Tier Square Wedding Cake!!

Decorating By happycake99 Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 3:14pm by Kitagrl

happycake99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happycake99 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 9

I am so nervous! icon_cry.gif I have been practicing icing square cakes and still do not have the desired look! The cake will be borderless. The problem is not the corners, its where the top icing meets the side icing. It looks lumpy or "wrinkly" any suggestions????? Its this weekend and I'm stressing icon_surprised.gif

8 replies
linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 9

Go to You Tube and see SugarShackäs video on BC icing......

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 9

Maybe this will help. It helped me.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 9

Also, she has a great dvd on icing her cakes, round, square,etc.

happycake99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happycake99 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks so much, the videos were helpful. I have another question, can make ALL of the batter for all 10 pans, fill all of the pans and then bake them 2 at a time??, or should the filled pans not sit out???

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 9

The fill pan should not sit out because you will lose the reaction that the baking soda or baking powder give the cake. Your cake will not rise as much. You could measure out your ingredient ahead of time, though. So when you are ready to bake the next batch it will be faster. HTH icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycake99

Thanks so much, the videos were helpful. I have another question, can make ALL of the batter for all 10 pans, fill all of the pans and then bake them 2 at a time??, or should the filled pans not sit out???

I wish I had a mixer that would accommodate that much filling!

I usually go from biggest to smallest and while one or one set is in the oven, I mix for the next batch and prep for the one that follows that one...it really does flow quite easily...especially when they've chosen only one flavor for the entire cake (I don't get those too often...like, maybe 1 out of every 50 will choose only one flavor)

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 9

On whether or not it sits out depends on your recipe probably. I am not sure about scratch cakes, but I would imagine they should be baked fairly soon after they are mixed due to the chemical reactions.

If you're using box mixes then you'll be fine letting it sit in the pans while the other cakes cook. Although I probably would only do half of the pans at a time because if you're only baking 2 at a time that means the last two pans would be sitting out for at least 2-3 hrs before going in the oven.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 9

One thing you can do on a cake with no borders is to refrigerate nice and firm...then stack...then while its still cold and firm, pipe a line of matching buttercream around the seam between tiers, and take a clean finger and smooth it all the way around. This will give a seamless look between the tiers.

A 6" putty knife/spackle knife works awesome for icing the sides of a cake, especially squares!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%