Fondant Over Whimsical Bakehouse Buttercream

Decorating By Dinny2222 Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 8:10pm by Kiddiekakes

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 8

Can anyone tell me if you can use fondant over the Whimsical Bakehouse Buttercream? I have a batch made that I used for just a buttercream cake but now I have a cake I have to put fondant on and I don't know if it will work. I am use to buttercreams that crust. Any help is really appreciated. Need to work on this today so a quick answer is sooooo needed!

Thank you

7 replies
skmokis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skmokis Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:36am
post #2 of 8

I'm am trying to fid that out for myself if you find out before I do could you please leave me a message. I also made a batch last night. Can you tell me what the consistancy is supose to be when it's done I don't know if I got it right or not.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 8

I use this all the time...the key is not to put it on too thick or it gets too squishy underneath.I scrape it right down so there is only a crumb coat and it works fine.

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 8

I've have done this a quite a few times. I don't put the icing on very thick and also I let the cake sit in the fridge to let icing get a little firm before applying the fondant. HTH

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:11am
post #5 of 8

Thank you for your response. I just can't get this icing smooth. I think I am going to give up on it and try another buttercream. Everyone likes the flavor but hard for me to work with

Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:46am
post #6 of 8

You might want to try the buttercream recipe that I recently put on the site. It is a crust buttercream and you can smooth it with Viva paper towels. If you look at my pics, that is all I use.

The name of the icing is called Geechigirl's Crisco-Based Crust Buttercream.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 8

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but would this also work for fondant accents? Is the icing stable enough to support the pieces? I'm doing a candylandish cake and I was gonna make fondant candies and stick them all around and maybe some draping.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 8

Rose-n-Crantz...I put dried fondant pieces all the time on the WBH icing and it nevers slips off!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%