Need Fondant Help

Decorating By pocketgirl Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 1:15am by pocketgirl

pocketgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pocketgirl Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 5

I am new at all of this and I'm kind of learning as I go. I have not attempted to COVER a cake in fondant yet. Can you put a light colored fondant on top of a dark colored frosting? Or should the frosting be lighter so that it doesn't show through?

4 replies
hilberry1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilberry1 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 5

In my experience, which is somewhat limited, a dark frosting will show through a light colored fondant. You have less of a chance of that happening if you don't roll the fondant really thin, but most people don't like a thick layer of fondant. Hopefully someone will post a solution to this, since it kind of limits what kind of cake and frosting you can make with certain cake designs!

lanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanana Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 5

i think it will depend on what fondant are you using. Some premade fondants are less translucent than others. Satin ice is great!! i have used it to cove a chocolate cake cover in chocolate ganache, and i can tell you it doesn't show anything, of curse try to roll it not too thin. If using MMF, make sure to roll it thicker since is more translucent.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 5

I've used Michele Foster's Fondant to cover a cake with chocolate ganache and it didn't show thru. What kind of fondant are you using?

pocketgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pocketgirl Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:15am
post #5 of 5

I am doing a wedding dress cake for my friends bridal shower (brave considering I'm new at this!). She knows I'm making her cake but she doesn't know what it is... I asked her what her favorite kind of cake was and she said just plain old yellow cake with chocolate frosting. Although I don't think that will be very pretty to cut into under white fondant to make the dress I'm trying to make it what she wants if I can. Besides the looks of it I also don't think yellow cake tastes very good with anything besides chocolate frosting... otherwise I would just use yellow cake with white frosting.

Since I'm not experienced I was planning to use everything store bought until I practice making things from scratch. I am using Wilton's ready to use fondant and store bought cake mix and frosting.

I'm open to any and all suggestions for everything!! OH... and her shower is on the 8th of this month so I don't really have long to practice or anything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%