Wilton Impression Molds - Any Help Please!!

Decorating By Carla9900 Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 1:32pm by Carla9900

Carla9900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carla9900 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:38am
post #1 of 7

First of all thank you so much for reading my posting. I would truly appreciate any help you can give.

I tried using an impression mold last weekend. I had a heck of a time. The fondant stuck to the mold like crazy, and I wasn't sure what side of the mold to use. I have a bridal shower cake to do this weekend, that has a LARGE impression mold that I need to use, and I'M NERVOUS!! I'm going to pipe over top the mold impression in black anyways, but I don't want it to look really bad. I haven't used fondant very often either.

So I have 2 questions:
1. How can I keep the impression mold from sticking to the fondant, and ruining the impression?

2. What side of the mold do I use?

And if you have any other suggestions about this topic, please help me and others out....

Strongly appreciative! icon_eek.gif

6 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:36am
post #2 of 7

Hi! To answer your second question first, it all depends upon whether you want a raised impression, or a recessed one. Either side works. It is just a matter of what effect you desire.
Secondly, I roll out the fondant to the desired size. Then I rub the chosen side of the mat with a paper towel smudged with Crisco. Lay the greased side of the impression mat down on the fondant and roll again to imprint. I flip the fondant over with the mat now on the bottom then lift the fondant with the mat and gently peel it off over the cake. You just have to exercise care when smoothing so as not to obscure the print.
This is the method I use, perhaps someone else has an easier method and I will be glad to see. I sometimes tend to find the difficult way to do things.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:50am
post #3 of 7

Dust the mat with a dusting puff really well with corn starch. Place the mat on the fondant and roll over it very firmly with a rolling pin. This works for me.

Carla9900 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:33am
post #4 of 7

Dust the mat with a dusting puff really well with corn starch. Place the mat on the fondant and roll over it very firmly with a rolling pin. This works for me.

What exactly is a dusting puff? I've never heard of the before. Thanks.

Milkmild---thanks for your idea. That sounds doable. I think.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 7

I made two dusting puffs, one for powdered sugar and one for cornstarch
using a piece of new panty hose fastened tightly at the top with a rubber band. I had purchased puffs from Wilton, but much prefer my homemade. They are invaluable when working with gumpaste or fondant (when I am not using Crisco.)

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 7

For me, the dusting puff works better than shortening, as the moist shortening tends to create a vacuum (or suction) between the mold and fondant. I think molds dusted with corn starch or powdered sugar (something dry) tend to release better.

Carla9900 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 7

thank you so much for your help. I appreciate that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%