Avoid Disaster, Fondarific Problem

Decorating By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 4:37am by HowCoolGomo1

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:25am
post #1 of 4

I'm trying to recreate Debbie Brown's Sugar Plum Fairy from "Enchanted Cakes", page 100.

1st issue, my board, tried covering it earlier today. I have tearing, bubbles and it's been in my deep freeze for at least 6 hours and still soft. I already airbrushed with Americolor Pearl Sheen. I glued it with piping gel and not too much.

Can I tear it off, put some tylose in it and reuse?

2nd issue, for my ruffles can I put tylose in those and it still be edible? This stuff is so soft I'm afraid they will fall off the cake. The cake is going to be in the car for a minimum of 8 hours. I do have plenty of freezie things so keeping it cold isn't an issue.

I'm desperate. Any ideas out there.

Thank you and sorry my posts are always so long.

MaryAnn

3 replies
Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:48am
post #2 of 4

I found Fondarific too soft and stretchy to use. Even though I absolutely loved the flavors and colors, I switched back to Satin Ice. I did try Tylose with the Fondarific, but without any luck. Maybe I was doing something wrong or maybe it might be the humidity in Florida, but I just couldn't get it to work for me. I never have a problem with Satin Ice and I have been using it for years.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:10am
post #3 of 4

Have you tried kneading icing sugar into it to make it stiffer therefore easier to work with?

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:37am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne1944

I found Fondarific too soft and stretchy to use. Even though I absolutely loved the flavors and colors, I switched back to . I did try Tylose with the Fondarific, but without any luck. Maybe I was doing something wrong or maybe it might be the humidity in Florida, but I just couldn't get it to work for me. I never have a problem with and I have been using it for years.

Ballymena

Quote:
Quote:

Have you tried kneading icing sugar into it to make it stiffer therefore easier to work with?

Ballymena, bless your heart, I just did try that after adding about $2 worth of tylose and I knew it wasn't going to work. I'm letting it rest for a few hours and then see what happens. I'm baking all night anyways, so I'll see what happens around 4am.

Joanne, funny but the references to S*I have been removed. I've always used that particular fondant in the past because I have excellent luck with it in Hill Country. TX. Bought the other brand because it tastes spectacular. I happen to have an 8 oz sample of the brand now being deleted, so I'm mixing 50/50 for my ruffles, letting it rest, while I bake.
If it doesn't work, oh well, I still have a day and a half to get the other brand and fix things.

The carved portion is covered and massively sticky right now. If I end up redoing the entire cake, I will use the deleted brand in chocolate for at least the under cover. The kid should at least be able to get her chocolate fix.

Thank you both for your input, I really appreciate it. Now I'm off to make mini cupcakes.

MaryAnn[[/b]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%