Icing Sliding Off A Cupcake Bouquet!!

Baking By cupcakefrost Updated 4 May 2010 , 12:53pm by Cake-O-Rate

cupcakefrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefrost Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:04am
post #1 of 8

did this ever happen to anyone? i left the bouquet on the counter after having refrigerated it for a while, then a few of the cupcakes lost their icing. it slid right off! i wonder if it was the cooling in the fridge and thawing out, or if the icing was too soft, or if i should've thawed out the cupcakes before icing them (i froze them to make it easier to stick on the toothpicks). does anyone have any suggestions, please? thanks icon_smile.gif

7 replies
jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:25am
post #2 of 8

I have never done a cupcake bouquet before but it sounds like it was probably the condensation from them thawing out. Are the rest ok? If not I would take them out until they thaw completely so they are all sitting flat.

cupcakefrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefrost Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:56am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlogic

I have never done a cupcake bouquet before but it sounds like it was probably the condensation from them thawing out. Are the rest ok? If not I would take them out until they thaw completely so they are all sitting flat.

this actually happened a few months ago, but i am thinking of doing them again for mother's day, but am a little nervous about them sliding off again. i think ur right and i won't refrigerate this time. after i freeze the cupcakes and put them on, i think i will let them thaw out before icing them. thanks!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 8

I had this happen once, and I didn't freeze or refrigerate anything. I think the biggest issue was the angle my cupcakes were at. Maybe trying to make sure the cupcake isn't tilted too much would help too.

I did this one: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1258896.html and I really shouldn't have those cupcakes nearly sideways. lol That was my issue. The second attempt worked much better and my sister in law was thrilled. icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 8

I always ice my cupcakes with a spatula first and then pipe on the icing......that way it has something to "stick to"

HTH

gong294 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gong294 Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 8

Sometimes it helps if you angle the bottom row toothpick almost at an 60 degree angle (im just saying its a little less than sticking it straight up).

im assuming you are putting these cupcakes on a styrofoam ball and building from bottom to top? In putting the first row up cupcakes at that angle its easier for the icing NOT to slide off.

Also...i have never froze my cupcakes so I never had to deal with condensation. good luck!

teabow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teabow Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:05am
post #7 of 8

I just did my first cupcake boquet and the problem I had was not with th eicing but with getting the cupcakes to stay togethr. Lost a few when they fell apart. I think I had them too angled and I had too many cupcakes.

Cake-O-Rate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-O-Rate Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakefrost

did this ever happen to anyone? i left the bouquet on the counter after having refrigerated it for a while, then a few of the cupcakes lost their icing. it slid right off! i wonder if it was the cooling in the fridge and thawing out, or if the icing was too soft, or if i should've thawed out the cupcakes before icing them (i froze them to make it easier to stick on the toothpicks). does anyone have any suggestions, please? thanks icon_smile.gif

When freezing cupcakes, you may get some condensation after letting them thaw out.

Since you have already iced your cupcakes and have had the slip n slide, you can fix it quick by removing the top skin of the cake.... Just scrape off or roll off the skin. The aerated part of the cake will now be exposed. This will hold your icing in place better. Also, if you are using a regular butter based butter cream for you icing instead of shortening or HRS (high ratio shortening), you will also have more of a risk for the slip.

If that is the case, and your icing is too wet, put a bit of powder sugar in to tighten it up. Not much or it will taste less pleasing.
One last tip... If you are using toothpicks to hold this together, you may want to consider switching to straws instead.
Hope that helps thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%