Where Do You Get Your Bulk Ingredients From?

Decorating By saffire277 Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 3:01pm by jammjenks

saffire277 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffire277 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 10

I am just starting my cake business out of my home, and I am going through confectioners sugar like it is going out of style. I was going to BJ's wholesale club, but they only sell it in 4 lb bags, and that just isn't big enough. Where are you ladies getting your bulk ingredients?

9 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 10

See if you have any local food wholesalers around. Also, if you have your business license and ein #, you can order wholesale from your local grocery store and Wal-Mart. Since I like using 2lb bags of PS, our local grocery store will order it by the case for us and it only takes a couple of days.

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:54am
post #3 of 10

We have all of our business stuff and order everything but PS from a distributer. We have found that the one from Sam's club is the best cost and easier to use...it is the 7lb bags.

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:00am
post #4 of 10

I buy PS, flour, sugar, oil, vanilla in bulk from costco

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:16am
post #5 of 10

do you have a sysco near you? They are a wholesaler for restaurants, schools, etc. If you have a business license and tax ID, you can get an account with them.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:49am
post #6 of 10

I don't have a business but I prefer to buy my ingredients in bulk. I usually get my main ingredients at Costo (business center) or Sams Club. I also buy some ingredients at Praml--a wholesaler for businesses here in Vegas. They do sell to me as well.

tron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tron Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:39am
post #7 of 10

Yeah Costco or you could check to see if you have a Cash n' Carry in your area. They are a restaurant supply store.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 10

I was at Sam's on Saturday, and noticed they are now selling PS in a 25 pound bag! I was pleasantly surprised.

They also changed the packaging on their 7 pound bag so it's resealable. thumbs_up.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 10

I don't us PS but I get my products from Cash and Carry or Costco

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:01pm
post #10 of 10

I'm fortunate to have a husband who works for a food distribution warehouse. I buy some things by the case from his work. It is the same price to me as it would be to a restaurant/grocery store. I just wish I had more space to store all of it!

Even so, I still buy my ps from WalMart in the 2# bags. My icing recipe calls for 2# per batch and it is worth it to me to not have to measure it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%