Simple Lid

Decorating By A_LATIN_ANGEL Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 11:17pm by Normita

A_LATIN_ANGEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A_LATIN_ANGEL Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone help me out here??? Please???
I need to make a "gift box" cake....

how do you make a matching lid or the look of a lid on top of the "box"?

all your help is much appreciated....thanks so much in advance... icon_confused.gif

6 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 7

not sure if this is what you mean, but here's a tutorial for making a "gift box cake" with 2 colors of buttercream:

http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/gift-box-cake-tutorial.html

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 7

Or get some styrofoam or foam core and cover it in fondant...super easy icon_smile.gif Prop it open with some dowels or skewers. Check out my shoebox cake..the lid is syrofoam that I bought at Michaels (with coupon)

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1629403

A_LATIN_ANGEL Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Or get some styrofoam or foam core and cover it in fondant...super easy icon_smile.gif Prop it open with some dowels or skewers. Check out my shoebox cake..the lid is syrofoam that I bought at Michaels (with coupon)

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1629403

Sorry I should have been a bit more specific, I'm using fondant.... I am just not sure how to make the "lid" of the box realistic....I saw the buttercream post that is great but it's going to be covered in fondant...also the open lid was great, but the picture I'm working with has a closed lid and I don't want to change the design on my friend.... any other suggestions??? thanks again....you are great!

Normita Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 7

Ok...one of two things...

1) if you have time I would suggest to buy sugarshacks boxes and bows dvd....it is awesome and shows you 3 or 4 (I forgot) different styles of boxes and bows....its awesome!!

2) again if you have time....cover your cake with fondant as usual...Then cut out a piece of fondant with tylose or a piece of gumpaste a little bigger than the top of your cake and also strips that will be used as the panels that go around the cake a couple of days in advance. Flipping it over every day so the bottom side can dry.

Once you are ready to place them on your cake you measure the top of your cake and you trim your top piece with an exacto knife to fit perfectly on the top. You then start with the panels beginning on the back of the cake. You do the same with the panels...cutting them with the exacto knife. With the panels you start with the back, side and side and then the last piece is your front. You glue the top piece and panels with melted chocolate. You will have some slight gaps...but you can fill in those gaps with colored royal icing or shortening. Rub shortening all in the gaps and it fills in the gaps perfectly icon_smile.gif

A_LATIN_ANGEL Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Ok...one of two things...

1) if you have time I would suggest to buy sugarshacks boxes and bows dvd....it is awesome and shows you 3 or 4 (I forgot) different styles of boxes and bows....its awesome!!

2) again if you have time....cover your cake with fondant as usual...Then cut out a piece of fondant with tylose or a piece of gumpaste a little bigger than the top of your cake and also strips that will be used as the panels that go around the cake a couple of days in advance. Flipping it over every day so the bottom side can dry.

Once you are ready to place them on your cake you measure the top of your cake and you trim your top piece with an exacto knife to fit perfectly on the top. You then start with the panels beginning on the back of the cake. You do the same with the panels...cutting them with the exacto knife. With the panels you start with the back, side and side and then the last piece is your front. You glue the top piece and panels with melted chocolate. You will have some slight gaps...but you can fill in those gaps with colored royal icing or shortening. Rub shortening all in the gaps and it fills in the gaps perfectly icon_smile.gif

Normita....
...that was AWESOME!!!

THANKS!!!

Normita Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 7

Your welcome icon_smile.gif

Check this preview of the boxes and bows dvd. Honestly, you should really invest in it icon_smile.gif Its amazing!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%