Royal Icing

Baking By mommynana Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 3:03pm by mommynana

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 9

can i use royal icing to crumb coat a cake,someone said i can`t put in in the fridge icon_rolleyes.gif

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 9

I wouldn't. Royal icing dries hard and will be crunchy.

I believe in the UK they do ice (fruit) cakes in royal icing, but they also add glyercine to it to keep it from drying rock hard.

mommynana Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 9

thanks texassugar, but i have to put the cake in the fridge. cuz it will have a friut filling in it.so if i add glyercinein the icying would that be ok

TexasSugar Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 9

Why do you want to use royal? Have you had royal?

I wouldn't put royal in the fridge either. Condensation when it comes out can cause it to melt.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 9

I agree with Texassugar, why use ri for a crumbcoat. What do you see as the benefit?

mommynana Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:07am
post #6 of 9

i tasted,and my family has tasted butter cream and none of them like it they say its like putting a stick of butter in ur mouth. so i dont no what to use... help.... i need to make this soon can someone tell me witch tastes better crean cheese or vanilla forstingicon_sad.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:49am
post #7 of 9

what about chocolate ganache?

TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 9

Which buttercream recipe have you used?

I really don't think royal icing is going to be your solution. It is just sweet since it is powder sugar, egg whites/merignue powder and water. You can add flavoring, but as I mentioned above it dries rock hard and in the US is used for making flowers and other decorations, not to ice the cake with.

If you are looking for something to put under fondant, ganache seems to be a new popular choice. There are several posts out there on the subject.

IndyDebi has a good recipe for buttercream using Crisco, and I believe the Buttercream dream is another good recipe that alot of people use.

mommynana Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:03pm
post #9 of 9

well thanks a lot texasSugar that helped me a lot. i`ll look up the chocolate ganachhe and the buttercream dream thanks again thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%