Did I Charged Correctly???

Decorating By sugarlovemom Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm by jammjenks

sugarlovemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlovemom Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 7

First of all thanks so much for reading!!! here's my problem: hate to say this but i still feel funny about charging people, because i'm new on this and when people order a cake from me i feel so happy and excited that im gonna get to practice some more that i forget completly that im actually working for somebody and of course need to get paid for that!!! soooooooooo... i did this cake for this lady that wanted to please her son but had no budget to pay the $200 she was inicially quoted by a bakery... she wanted it for 50 people but the she reduced it to 30 people... her budget was very low.... i did it for $80. take a look people and tell me what do u think... did i overcharged or undercharged?.... critics, suggestions and advices are so welcome!!!
LL

6 replies
luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 7

I am fairly new as well and am having the same problem and of course you look at your work and you are your worst critic so you feel no one is gonna want to pay for you work but... you are wrong your cake is incredible and the detail must of taken you hours I am gonna guess you made well under $5 an hour for making this cake after supplies if you made anything at all. Don't sell yourself short you will quit long before you begin if you feel you are under-appreciated for your talent. You need to start how you plan to finish is what I have been told so you want to start charging what you intend to finish charging. You did a wonderful job and it was nice for you to help someone out but be careful not to be taken advantage of.

cmalin3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmalin3 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 7

Holy monkey - yep, you sold yourself pretty short. Your cake is incredible! I know how you feel about getting so excited to practice a new design, but definitely remind yourself that this IS a business, and you won't be able to fulfill that dream if you burn out early doing so much for so little.

People appreciate when we can work within their budgets, but sometimes they have to realize when it's time to scale back a bit. Maybe she just didn't understand the time and skill involved?

Keep on caking - you definitely have the drive and the talent!

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 7

I would have charged 4 bucks a serving based on this design , so yea your shorted yourself a little but not a grat deal. In the begining as long as you are making back what you put into it and a little on the side then your doing fine. I liked the design it is cute and you put a ton of little details that really make the cake good job, and happy caking you should be proud icon_smile.gif

sugarlovemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlovemom Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much bakers!!!! i do appreciate your comments!! good louck to you all!!! God Bless You! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 7

A few questions: What sizes are the cakes? How many servings did you make (not how many did she ask for)? How much did it cost you to make the cake? How long did it take you to make the cake?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 7

From what I can tell, you charged pretty close to what I would.

Great cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%