Music Cake Ideas

Decorating By Mamatoboys Updated 1 May 2010 , 5:32am by sweet-n-sassy

Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 8

My friend has asked me to do a cake for a silent auction to benefit her daughter's school marching band. I looked thru the galleries, but there are so many pics! I wanted to ask you all for some ideas. The school colors are green and yellow, should I use these crazy colors or just stick to black and white? Any ideas on how to incorporate the "band" rather than a piano or other instruments? I was thinking of sheet music and notes, but beyond that, I'm clueless. I'd like this cake to have some "wow" appeal so it goes for more money at the auction, but I'm pretty new to cake making so the ideas would need to be pretty simple.

7 replies
luvlaugh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvlaugh Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 8

You could do music notes on the side of the cake and then either a musical instrument on top or the school mascot playing an instrument.

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 8

What about doing a podium with a conductor's stick. It could be done in a fairly basic square cake with the top slightly slanted. Then cover in black fondant with the "lip" at the bottom. Then the baton done in fondant. Then you could make a sheet of white fondant and paint on sheet music. HTH! Make sure to post pics. icon_biggrin.gif

hilberry1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilberry1 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:20am
post #4 of 8

You could have silouettes of several marching band members marching across the cake. Something similar to this...

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:34am
post #5 of 8

their uniform?

just the hat?

these are usually distinctive and will incorporate the school colors easily.

for more fun-- put the mascot in the uniform

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:01am
post #6 of 8

How about cutting notes and staff from gumpaste in the school colors and sticking them on the cake randomly. There is a photo in my pics of 75 cutouts done this way.

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:30am
post #7 of 8

I just designed my son's marching band banquet cake- here is what I am doing- hope it helps you-
The bottom will be a 12x24 rectangle football field- (after all that is where they do their show) with this years show logo on the side. The next tier is 12 inch round replicating the front of the uniform, then a 10 inch with the color guard flags (can't leave them out), then a 8 inch with the alma mater piped on fondant, then a 6 inch with the mascot and topped with a feather plume similar to in their uniform hats.

sweet-n-sassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-n-sassy Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:32am
post #8 of 8

What if you did a sheet cake that looks like a football field, then make a hat to look like theirs and some sheet music and maybe a logo or music notes? That way your not doing one specific instument (and leaving all the others out). Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%