Melting Icing

Baking By KutieKakes Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 4:17pm by mamawrobin

KutieKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KutieKakes Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:23am
post #1 of 4

I LOVE and my customers LOVE the butterdream recipe(two sticks butter, 1 cup crisco). However, I live in Texas and it is starting to get hot. I feel that it starts 'melting' and gets REALLY soft and doesn't seem to hold corners well. I have multiple weddings(my first) to do this summer and am petrified to use this recipe, though that's what my customers want. Is there anyway to make it more heat hardy? I tried meringue powder once, but then it seemed like it wouldn't crust so I could smooth it. Any ideas?

3 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:51am
post #2 of 4

lots of people use indydebi's b/c icing recipe. it is suppose to withstand the heat. she swears by it. and also,some have switched to sharon zambito b/c recipe for the heat problem. their recipes are on this site. and sharon shows how to make hers on youtube. and she also has a great dvd on buttercream. all of her dvd's are wonderful.hth

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 4

Butter has a lower melting point so it does tend to be softer than crisco in the heat.

Meringue powder shouldn't keep the icing from not crusting and I believe (my personaly experince) that it does help make icing a little more stable in the heat.

An issue this time of year is that it is starting to warm up outside, but not everyone has turned the AC on. I finally turned mine on this weekend. So it could also be that your house is warm, especially the kitchen if you bake on the same day, and that will make the icing softer to work with as well.

I have learned that in my house I can not bake and ice the cakes on the same day, even when the AC is on, because my kitchen just stays hot.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

lots of people use indydebi's b/c icing recipe. it is suppose to withstand the heat. she swears by it. and also,some have switched to sharon zambito b/c recipe for the heat problem. their recipes are on this site. and sharon shows how to make hers on youtube. and she also has a great dvd on buttercream. all of her dvd's are wonderful.hth

I live in Arkansas so I have the same problem with heat. I started using Indydebi's Buttercream receipe even though I swore I'd never use an all crisco based buttercream. It's very good and everyone loves it. It also holds up to our 100 degree weather. thumbs_up.gif . I love real butter buttercream but I just don't use it very often anymore because of the stability issues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%