Why Is My Mmf Sticking??

Decorating By ChristysCakes88 Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 12:42am by ddaigle

ChristysCakes88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristysCakes88 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 5

This is the first time I have worked with my own homemade MMF. It turned out really good and I was so excited until just now. I colored some black last night for some lettering. I let it sit overnight in the fridge. I got it out just now and started kneading it after it had come to room temp. It is sticking to everything!! I got it rolled out and cut my letters out free hand with an exacto and as soon as I went to lift them up the excess, everything was stuck to my countertops! What did I do wrong and what can I do to fix it?? Thanks for any advice!

4 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 5

MMF is not stored in the frig. I find mine gets a sticky when I add to color to it, but I rub my hands in crisco then continue to kneed. I do not add additional powdered sugar, as this, to me, dries out my MMF. Hope this helps.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 5

I also add Crisco to my hands when I knead it (and a little on the surface if it's sticking really bad). I've stored mine in the fridge before. Just stick it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up quick. And I always dust my surface with a little cornstarch before rolling and cutting. Really helps to keep it from sticking. Just not too much so it won't get to stiff and dry. hth

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 5

Use powdered sugar or cornstarch as your "flour". i find that using a pair of latex or non-latex gloves with a little crisco on them makes things quite easy.

Can anyone advise what the approximate shelf life of MMF might be? I made some last weekend and am not sure how long I can store it. Thanks!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:42am
post #5 of 5

I keep it wrapped in plastic, put in a ziplock, place in sealed container and keep in my pantry for MONTHS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%