How Do I Make Gray Fondant?!?!

Decorating By LindieLu Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 4:22am by LindieLu

LindieLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindieLu Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:55am
post #1 of 10

Yesterday I mixed some black Wilton food coloring into my MMF and it turned purple. That's all fine and dandy... except I need gray! What's going on here? How do I make my MMF gray? Is there some sort of secret? Thanks!

9 replies
anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:03am
post #2 of 10

I would have to recommend using Americolor gels...I too have noticed that Wilton black does this.

LindieLu Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:04am
post #3 of 10

yet another trip to the cake store?!?!

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:11am
post #4 of 10

Try adding more black and then adding a touch of Wilton white-white, if you have it on hand. I have used Wilton black gel and w/ some work and the white, I was able to get a nice gray out of it.

LindieLu Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:14am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by idocakes4fun

Try adding more black and then adding a touch of Wilton white-white, if you have it on hand. I have used Wilton black gel and w/ some work and the white, I was able to get a nice gray out of it.

I didn't know wilton made white! Hmm.. interesting!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:14am
post #6 of 10

ick, never use Wilton colors. waste of air space.
Someone was just discussing grey fondant on some blog or something. To hold color better she did black and a touch of blue.

Nacnacweazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nacnacweazel Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:15am
post #7 of 10

Everyone I know that uses MMF always has problems with coloring. They are constantly asking me how I get my colors so right on. I tell them to dump that MMF junk and go with the Satin Ice colors like I do...or, they can go ahead and keep wasting ingredients, materials and money because they insist on MMF. Gray is ALWAYS their biggest color issue. After two days and about $40 worth of MMF and color wasted, one of my friends came over and asked me to show her my secret. I took about $5 worth of white Satin Ice and maybe 3 cents worth of black Satin Ice and kneaded them together in front of her to the perfect shade of gray that she was looking for. I stuck it in a ziplock bag and gave it to her. She hasn't messed with MMF ever since. I know that a lot of people swear by MMF...but it's just not worth it to me. icon_rolleyes.gif

idocakes4fun Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:27am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindieLu

Quote:
Originally Posted by idocakes4fun

I didn't know wilton made white! Hmm.. interesting!

It's a liquid for making icing whiter or lightening other colors. A little goes a long way. I purchased in 2 oz. pop top bottle.

idocakes4fun Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:00am
post #9 of 10

BTW, I also switched to Americolor gel for black, although I still use Wilton for some other colors.

LindieLu Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:22am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anasazi17

I would have to recommend using Americolor gels...I too have noticed that Wilton black does this.

I went ahead and purchased some Americolor black gel... and it worked wonderfully!!!! Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%