Sitting Character/gruffalo Cake

Decorating By lapapillon Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 6:36pm by lapapillon

lapapillon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapapillon Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 4

Hello,

hoping someone could offer advice on how I'd go about making this Gruffalo cake for my son's 1st birthday (picture attached, hopefully) - I'm a total cake decorating novice (so asking well in advance, he's only 4months! Have a feeling I'll need lots of practise!)

No idea how I'd approach this in the slightest, from the shaping to the icing - but I'm hoping to wow the guests at his party as I'm wanting to start my own children's party planning business so everything needs to be rather spectacular!

Thanks in advance... I'm so glad I've found this site - the warning on the left there is very accurate, it is highly addictive I've been lurking for the past 4hours!!!

Rhi xx
LL

3 replies
casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:58am
post #2 of 4

looks like the body is made of cake then carved. The head probably rkt or styrofoam with fondant accents. Wish I could be more help

hilberry1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilberry1 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:11am
post #3 of 4

If you don't have much experience with carving, you could always make a basic cake and have a modeling chocolate figure on top. Just a thought.

(By the way, my kids LOVE that book!)

lapapillon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapapillon Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 4

thank you both!!

Guess I could give carving a try, like I said plenty of time to practice icon_smile.gif

If I don't get the hang of that moulded figures would be a perfect alternative (I could do the other characters too that way!!)

thanks again for the advice xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%