Crimper Advice Please

Decorating By DianeLM Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 1:47pm by DianeLM

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 4

I'm going to be using a crimper, for the first time, on an upcoming cake. Was just wondering if anyone with experience has any handy tips to pass along.

It will be a single tier round covered with white fondant.

Thanks!

3 replies
anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:31am
post #2 of 4

Hi Diane!

I have used them quite a bit and I think the best tip some one gave me when using them is to just lay out a scrap piece of fondant and practice because they are so dependent on the amount of pressure, spacing etc. One important thing is to push the crimper against the fondant, then pinch together. I know it sounds obvious but I always find myself pinching as I am pushing it toward the fondant making the crimps uneven LOL! I hope this helped a bit!!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 11:08am
post #3 of 4

One thing I learned the hard way is to make sure that little o-ring stays in the same position at all times...Otherwise, you could end up with different sizes.

Paul

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for your replies. Of course, I didin't know this thread HAD replies until after I finished the cake!

Anasazi17, I did exactly what you suggested. I was so afraid I'd get stage fright and forget the pattern I was trying to achieve. I practiced IMMEDIATELY before doing it on the cake.

Paul, I tried to remain very conscious of the position of the O-ring so it wouldn't move. Thanks for that reminder!

The one factor I didn't count on was humidity and condensation. The temperature in North Texas shot up to the 80's in the last couple of days which really took a toll on my chilled cake. I didn't realize how sticky it was until it grabbed my crimper and wouldn't let go! That's why we now have a "back" to the cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%