Need Help On Wedding Cake Tier Sizes

Decorating By shiningstar Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 7:16pm by Kitagrl

shiningstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiningstar Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 2

I need to do a wedding cake with 160 servings. The more research I do the more confused I seem to become so I'm hoping for some direction from someone with experience. icon_biggrin.gif

The topper will be saved..... and based on some info I found online I came up with using a 6, 9, 12 and 14. Will that work????? Or is there a better way to go? I've only done 2 weddings before and it's been a few years since the last one so I am just pretty nervous about things.

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Thanks!

1 reply
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 2

I try to keep the measurements between tiers all the same...so like 14/12/10/8/6 or 16/14/10/6 or 12/9/6 etc (those will not serve your amount, necessarily, just using as example.)

What I do is I give the customer a few options. One option may be a few servings too few, another may be a few servings too many. They have to decide which one they want to go with (if there are other desserts, they could probably go a few servings less...if its the only dessert, they should definitely go the bit extra).

I also explain to the customer how the tiers will look...the ones with 4" clearance will look more "stairstepped" and the ones with 2" clearance will look more straight up, with a very small ledge. I try to show them pictures too, to show the difference.

Then the customer chooses which tier sizes they want.

I worked at a caterer where the girls upstairs took the orders and then we just had to make the cake fit the servings. Many times the pastry chef would use different tier sizes and so the cake did not look even sometimes, as some ledges would be tiny and some larger.

The one cake I did where I allowed two different sized "clearances" I was very unhappy with so never again will I do that unless its worked into the design on purpose!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%