When You Had To Ice A Square Wedding Cake For The 1St Time?

Decorating By sugarcheryl Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 1:13am by djs328

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:21am
post #1 of 15

It's a long story but I know have a bride who wants a square wedding cake. The original cake decorator was doing it in buttercream. I said I would do it fondant only because it would be easier for me. But I was wondering would you attempt to do the buttercream. And how did you do with your first square buttercream? I believe I can do it if it was round no problem but you know how you want the sides to come out perfect. I already have Sharon's dvd. icon_smile.gif

14 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:26am
post #2 of 15

I wouldn't attempt it without some practice.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 15

I have also seen various methods & tutorials, just search the internet, practice, and see what technique works best for you- good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:42am
post #4 of 15

Agree that if you're not confident in your BC skills, then definitely practice before doing a paid cake.

I'm one that actually prefers doing square cakes over round ones. I just find them really easy. Evidently I didn't have any major issues with my first one because I can't even remember doing it.

Oh ... and I am/was a BC-Only gal for 30 years (until these evil CC'ers dragged me kicking and screaming into Fondant World! But I forgive them! icon_biggrin.gif )

sugarcheryl Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:38am
post #5 of 15

Thanks for your input. Well when I first started out I would get frustrated with the buttercream so I went to fondant much easier. But I wanted to master the buttercream and I can do it but it doesn't look like some of the work I see on cc. I want it to look like fondant. I will get there. I'll let you guys see the finish product I have 3 weeks.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 15

Here's my first square wedding cake. My first "real" square cake, actually! Nowhere near perfect, but not too bad. I watched several YouTube demos, and practiced a few times. You can actually practice on your cake pans...no need to bake a cake. A box, even...anything with square corners. Your BC needs to be a little on the stiff side (but still easily spreadable), and a bench scraper is a must for me.

YOU CAN DO IT!
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 15

this was the first square cake I've ever iced! lol

I have EVERY intention of practicing beforehand but NEVER had the opportunity so I just gave myself plenty of time (good thing because it was about 95 degrees that day) and winged it! The bride hated it, but I digress
LL
LL

sugarcheryl Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 15

You both did an excellent job. KHalstead what do you mean the bride hated it. I hope you meant the weather and not the cake. You are part of reason why I wanted to do it. I'm like you when it comes to winging it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 15

oh yeah, she hated the cake.........tried to get a full refund because she thought it was ugly..........it was exactly what she ordered and she provided the flowers......her main issue was that the flowers were too big!! lol I told her SHE got the flowers, not me! I only worked with what I had to work with!

I don't suggest winging it, but often find myself in that situation lol

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 15

Here is my first all square wedding cake. They aren't much harder than the rounds - just let those angles know you are the boss. icon_biggrin.gif BTW - this was one of those lovely 95 degree days - and outside at the Columbus Zoo! (thank goodness for sugarshack's icing recipe!)
LL

sugarcheryl Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:32pm
post #11 of 15

Very nice work Loucinda thumbs_up.gif

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:49pm
post #12 of 15

I did my first square and first wedding cake last summer, and was coached through it by many cc'ers! icon_smile.gif (still very grateful for them talking me off the ledge! LOL!!!) And I think it turned out ok...I agree: a bench scraper is your best bet...and use a good BC, crusting and viva that sucker! icon_smile.gif
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1403399
(well, everyone else posted theirs... icon_razz.gif hehe!)

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:52pm
post #13 of 15

I'm glad someone posted about square cakes, I have one this weekend and It's driving me crazy already, I'm not too bad icing square cakes but it will be hot this weeked and the venue is on top a hill, I'm so scare of driving it!

The place is 15mins from my shop, should I flash freeze the cake right before delivery?'

OMG I'm so scared! icon_cry.gif

sugarcheryl Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:02am
post #14 of 15

djs328 are you sure that was your first square wedding cake you did? It is beautiful!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:13am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcheryl

djs328 are you sure that was your first square wedding cake you did? It is beautiful!

Awww! You are very sweet! icon_smile.gif Yup, that was my first...and I normally don't do BC either, so it's very challenging for me to work with...there were tears, meltdowns, and at least three times saying, "I'm never doing this again!" But I did it...and have done it again, and I get better each time, but still have many miles to go.... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%