Starting A Cake Decorating Biz In Los Angeles County...

Business By mbark Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 4:16pm by AngelFood4

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:36am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,
I am getting to the point with my cake decorating that I may need to start a business. I am wondering if any of you are in the southern CA area, los angeles county, that know what the rules are? I looked on the Dept of Health website but don't see anything about bakeries. I assume I would need to rent kitchen space in a restaurant- what about a kitchen in a church? Any other advice? thanks so much!

4 replies
cakenewbe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbe Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:15am
post #2 of 5

Hello,
Hope you have been able to find a location. Where about in Los angeles are you? I have been thinking about renting this bakery by me but i was thinking it would be much more cost effective if another person went in on it with me. Just a thought i had. I have been mostly doing 3d custom cakes as a hobby for cousins and friends but i really want to do this as a business. ok now im rambling... lol
i had been thinking about this bakery by me thats for lease for a while now and when i saw your post i thought id see how things are going with your search.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 5

While you are looking around for a place, do find and support the fledgling CA Cottage Law bill. I am sure there is a petition to sign and some networking would be helpful for you.

cakenewbe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbe Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 5

yes, my husband and i signed it yesterday.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 5

There's an Incubator (shared kitchen) in LA if you want to rent some space on an as needed basis. Here is the link: http://www.chefskitchens.com./

Attached is a 109 page file, "California Retail Kitchen Health Code" I pulled off the internet last year. I don't remember the exact source but I'm sure you can search for it. I heard it's very difficult and a ton of codes and permits you have to get through. Good luck and keep us posted...I would love to open up a place some day too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%