Help With Ovens

Decorating By Charmed Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 7:37am by Nacnacweazel

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 3

Okay I am confused icon_cry.gif I have been researching ovens and would like to know what are best ovens for baking cakes. So I was imagining (well for now I could ony daydream about this!!) that if in the future I could have a cake decorating business what kind of commercial ovens (nothing very big) are best suited for baking cakes? convection or convention ovens? I have seen deck ovens, over the counter ovens..... but have no idea what type or brands are better than the others....
Could anyone who has a bakery or cake decorating business help clarify ovens for me? please ...... thumbs_up.gif
thanks

2 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:22am
post #2 of 3

I can't help you with the brand....but I don't like convection when baking my cakes. I think most are probably comparable, I looked for the ones with the largest cubic inches so I could get larger cake pans in it. When you go shopping, take a measuring tape so you can measure the width of the inside of the oven... that way you'll know if your largest cake pan will fit.
Hope this helps.

Nacnacweazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nacnacweazel Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:37am
post #3 of 3

I have heard, over the years, about the superiority of convection ovens. Honestly, in my humble opinion, I don't think it really matters as long as you have room in the oven for the heat to flow evenly around the item that's in it. I was actually told by a chef that the best use for a convection oven is when it is going to be completely crammed full. Otherwise, it ends up being a huge waste of energy. She has both, a convection oven and conventional oven. She only uses the convection oven when she is doing a catering job and is cooking very large amounts at the same time. She uses the conventional oven the rest of the time. Some people will swear by convection, some will swear by convention. I think it is just personal preference. You get used to working with what you have to work with. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%