Heard The Funniest Thing Today

Decorating By mim1106 Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 11:22pm by eccl1-12

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 20

I was in my psych class today, and this girl turned around and started talking to me and another classmate. She said she was trying to talk her friend into making her wedding cake in June because Publix wanted *gasp* $250 for just a 3 tier cake. I told her, girl, you don't know what a good deal that is! She said, no way am I paying that much for cake. I just laughed.

19 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 20

Yep. That sounds about right. I just don't get how cheap people are where cake is concerned.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 20

They have no clue..seriously..no clue. I love it now that the bridal shows are starting to SAY how much the cake costs...maybe give some of these brides a heads up.

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 20

some people. I am making a cake for a friend because the publix here wanted $650 for a 3 tiered cake. I of coarse am giving her a great deal and maybe even a steal but she is a friend.

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 20

i have to admit i was one of those people icon_redface.gif Most people dont understand what really goes into making a cake. Baking, making fillings, icings, and fondants alone is a a lot of work. I find that when i explain this to family and friends they are much more understanding. But there will always be those who just dont get it!

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 20

No kidding- I just finished a complicated 5 tier cake and spent at least 200 on ingredients and supplies. Then I worked for about 5 fourteen hour days to get it done. If I had not gifted the cake, I would have asked about 2K for it. $250 would have covered ingredients, supplies, and the planning maybe.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 20

I would have asked her how many people she was trying to feed. THAT is the real pricing test.

But even for 100 people, $2.50/serving is a good price.

People just are not used to "doing the math" when trying to feed 100-200 people.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 20

Hey, now...we may not know all the facts. It may just be a 4" & 6" with a cuppie topper icon_razz.gif !

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 20

You know the sad thing is she'll have her friend, who has no clue what is involved in making a wedding cake, do the cake and it will ruin her glorious wedding day. I can't tell you how many times I've seen that happen. icon_confused.gif

Majie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Majie Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 10:32pm
post #10 of 20

People have no idea, its actually 1230 evening in zimbabwe and i am awake waiting for my fruit cake to bake nicely. then, sugarpaste floral work, marzipan, final icing, working on the cake to give it a nice finish . . . . . mamama its a lot of work and commitement, i say to you ladies - charge enough so its worth your effort!

mim1106 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 10:49pm
post #11 of 20

I am going to ask her Wednesday how many servings she needed. Can't believe I didn't ask today..duh!

mim1106 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 20

OK, guys...I asked. LOL!! She invited 35 ppl, but said she thinks only half will show up. Well, dang, I wouldn't pay $250 for a wedding cake that size either!!!! Those are going to be some tiny tiers!

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 20

I came across an ad on our local 'classifieds' website the other day. Here is a little tidbit from her ad :

"I am no professional but having gotten married last summer and paid $260 for the same cake I could have made - makes me think there are others who are looking for a nice cake for a reasonable price. "

Had a little chuckle....

emms73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emms73 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:04pm
post #14 of 20

well for that many make your own cake i made my own i 3teir and 4 floaters floral design cascadeing i wish i could have done better but no one would ever call me back so at 2 weeks before wedding i decided to do it myself i had about 100 ppl plenty of cake some even went home with pplstress makes u do crazy things around ur own wedding

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:20pm
post #15 of 20

LOL that's funny... I don't know why people expect to pay little or nothing for a wedding cake. But hey, I'm one of those people who can't afford my own cakes LOL

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:32pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mim1106

I was in my psych class today, and this girl turned around and started talking to me and another classmate. She said she was trying to talk her friend into making her wedding cake in June because Publix wanted *gasp* $250 for just a 3 tier cake. I told her, girl, you don't know what a good deal that is! She said, no way am I paying that much for cake. I just laughed.

LOL. People are crazy! icon_smile.gif

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:43pm
post #17 of 20

HAHA! I just had a gal call me to make her wedding cake (in a week) and she wanted a 3 tier cake -- 10" dummy, 8" real, 6" dummy...fondant, fancy etc. She thought $100 was a little high...eek!! icon_wink.gif~

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:46pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by anasazi17

HAHA! I just had a gal call me to make her wedding cake (in a week) and she wanted a 3 tier cake -- 10" dummy, 8" real, 6" dummy...fondant, fancy etc. She thought $100 was a little high...eek!! icon_wink.gif~

I don't think people really understand that the hard work is the decorating part... they think if it's not real cake it shouldn't cost much. icon_confused.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:51pm
post #19 of 20

I can't afford my own cakes either. haha.

But then I think EVERYTHING in a wedding is expensive...I paid $300 for my dress, $500 for my photos, $60 to rent the chapel I got married in...and did my own rehearsal backyard grill and had my own reception in my parents' large home with cake made by a friend (my dad paid her something, I don't know how much) and punch and nuts and mints. That was almost 14 years ago, out in South Dakota.

So I don't get these $20,000 weddings...but hey I figure if they are going to spend that much on a wedding, they can spend a worthwhile chunk of it on cake eh? haha.

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 11:22pm
post #20 of 20

Ya I made my own cake to save money and because I figured I could do it just fine. I was awake past 1:00am piping the edging that morning. Glad I saved the money, but I think I was a bit nuts. It turned out good though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%