Poll: What Is Your Preferred Method Of Rolling Out Fondant?

Decorating By joyfullysweet Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 3:39pm by emrldsky

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 6

What do you use to keep the fondant from sticking to your countertop?

5 replies
jessielou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessielou Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 6

I had been using p. sugar but have always had trouble with it sticking in spots. So for my last cakes ( the castle and cottage in my photos) I used shortening. It worked SO much better!

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 6

I use shortening most of the time, if the fondant is a bit sticky I add a bit o powdered sugar.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 6

I use a little crisco on a vinyal mat. I flip the whole thing over on the cake and peel off the vinyl. I use a little cornstarch sprinkled on the cake so that I can use my fondant smoother. I steam all of my cakes so that takes care of any cornstarch left on my cakes.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 6

Crisco on a mat, like mamawrobin, I like to be able to just pick the mat up and lay it all over the cake.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 6

Since I use Satin Ice (which can end up being a bit soft), I roll it out with cornstarch on a mat (used to use my laminate counter top) and then pick it up and put it on my cake. I find it to be easier this way and it helps keep the Satin Ice from being too soft, and then stretching and pulling too much.

For small pieces, or when I'm working on sugar flowers, I use shortening because I add tylose to the fondant, which allows it to dry fast, but I don't want it to dry out too fast.

I have a method to my madness. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%