Refrigerate Or Not To Refrigerate??

Decorating By bmoser24 Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 7:09am by prterrell

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:42am
post #1 of 4

I would like to know when to refrigerate cakes because of the fillings...esp. canned pie fillings like blueberry or apple? Cream cheese, puddings...ect.
I have attended weddings and parties with cakes that have cream and creamcheese fillings and they sit for hours.....plus how long did they sit before? I ask because i usually use fondant, and dont put in refrigerator after decorated.i like to decorate the night or even day before needed.

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:56am
post #2 of 4

Generally speaking, any dairy or egg based filling (with the exception of ganache), must be refrigerated. So cream cheese, pudding, pastry cream/custard, all of those fillings must be refrigerated.

Fruit fillings can be a little trickier. Fresh fruit fillings must always be refrigerated. Cooked fruit fillings with high concentrations of acid and/or sugar can be left unrefrigerated short term, but will last longer in the fridge.

HTH!

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:06am
post #3 of 4

thanks....any suggestions from others that use unstable fillings??? Do you fondant, decorate, and deliver all the same day? that really limits filling choices...help with any ideas!!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:09am
post #4 of 4

Just so you know, you can refrigerate fondant cakes. Fondant decorations, such as bows or molded figurines, should be placed upon the cake just before delivery as they will be more affected by the moisture in the fridge than will the fondant covering the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%