Running Shoe Cake

Decorating By BWhitaker Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 4:36pm by yeastconfection

BWhitaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BWhitaker Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 3

I have a customer who wants me to do a cake of a running shoe - she sent me a picture for inspiration and I've looked on here for "How To's" with no luck. This is the first time anyone has sent me a cake to make and I truly don't know if I can do it. My concern is that I won't be able to make it look as real as what she sent.

Have any of you made a running shoe cake and have any suggestions or tips?
I know I can make the foundation - the cake, covered in fondant in the shape of the shoe - my main concern is all the details that will go into it: the shoe strings, the details on the actual shoe, etc.

Would you make a cake that you weren't 100% sure you could do?

Thanks so much!

2 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 3

Check youtube. There's a converse shoe cake that translates well to a shorter running shoe cake. The poster used a mud cake and ganache to make it and shows the process of carving the cake.

yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 3

I have a pair that I made. There is a pic on my photos but there is a better pic at the www site (click on it below) and it will be on the moving slideshow. The best advice I can give you is buy a cheap clay extruder for the laces and other detail peices. You can pick one up for $10 at Hobby Lobby. First I took one of my own shoes and drew an outline of the sole so I could get a shape. I baked two cakes in large bread loaf pans. I then laid the sole pattern on the cakes and started carving to get the shape, using my shoe for a guide. When I had the shape I wanted I covered each in fondant so that I had a nice canvas to start laying all of the detail work on. I started at the top of the shoe cutting peices of fondant and laying it on, in the desired shapes. I used a scissors to get the sizes just right. When they were correct I then used a paintbrush with a little water to attach it. I worked my way down and used long strips for the soles of the shoe. Use your round piping tips as cutters for small circles. The extruder will make awesome laces for you. Take your fondant and knead it with alot of crisco to make it soft and push it through the extruder. If you can't find an extruder, borrow one of the kids play dough toys, they work well too! (washed of course!)
Almost all of my cakes I start out not being 100% sure I can do it....sometimes you just have to go for it! Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%