Meringue Pwdr Same As Powder Egg White?

Baking By sweettoothmom1 Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 7:20pm by prterrell

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:41am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone. I'd like to get a royal icing recipe that does not get hard. Need to cover a fruit cake. Is Meringue powder the same as powdered egg white?

3 replies
LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:48am
post #2 of 4

Meringue powders have sugar, cornstarch, and gums to stabilize RI, whereas powdered egg whites do not.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:04am
post #3 of 4

Toba Garrett's Glace functions kind of like a royal icing...well, as implied by the name, it's really a glaze. I have used it in place of RI on gingerbread cookies and it tastes great and dries much softer than RI. Dries to touch, stackable (for cookies, just to use an example) yet soft enough to bite through. I think it work really well on a cake.

The recipe is here on CC http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2119/toba-garretts-glace-icing - you will notice it doesn't use meringue powder (or ew).

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 4

Meringue powder, as stated above, contains other ingredients besides just the powedered egg whites. When making royal icing with just powdered egg whites, you will have to add cream of tartar.

If you add corn syrup to your royal icing, it will not dry as hard.

For my fruit cakes, I prefer to brush them with a thin layer of melted apricot jam, then cover with marzipan and then with white fondant and then decorate using royal. So that is another option!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%