Going To Be Making 300 Cupcakes

Baking By CourtneyLS99 Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 1:25pm by adamsmom

CourtneyLS99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneyLS99 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 49

I'm involved in the Relay For Life. It's on May 1-2 here. I'm going to be making a lot of baked goods for our tent to sell (cupcake pops, 300 cupcakes, and a very large display cake{this one won't be for sell}).
I don't want to do the normal vanilla or chocolate cupcakes. I want to make kinds that people don't see often and will make them want to try at least one.
I recently bought Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book and there are some delicious sounding and looking things in there!!
Has anyone made anything from that book?

48 replies
JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 49

I haven't made anything from that book. But my most requested cupcake is lemon cake with raspberry filling. It would be great for a day when people will be hot and tired , sometimes choc is just too rich.

They would be really cute iced with pink lemonade buttercream and maybe a pink ribbon on the top!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 49

No I haven't but I have to say that I do not envy you one bit. I hate doing cupcakes if it's more than a couple of dozen icon_lol.gif

Good luck to you and be sure to post pictures. I would love to see what you come up with. I have to do something similar for our suicide prevention walk in September and I'm searching for ideas now.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 49

I have the book, but I have yet to try anything in it! icon_smile.gif How about red velvet? Not your usual chocolate or vanilla, but still simple and absolutely delicious!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

I haven't made anything from that book. But my most requested cupcake is lemon cake with raspberry filling. It would be great for a day when people will be hot and tired , sometimes choc is just too rich.

They would be really cute iced with pink lemonade buttercream and maybe a pink ribbon on the top!

Sounds absolutely wonderful.

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

Maybe they could be a light purple. isn't purple the relay for life color?

JaimeAnn Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:38pm
post #7 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCC

Maybe they could be a light purple. isn't purple the relay for life color?

I just went and looked and YES it is purple . That would be cute ..

I always do the pink cause my Gramma is a breast cancer survivor.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 49

How about:
Peanut butter cup(cake). Peanut butter cake with chocolate frosting
Plus the reverse: chocolate cake with peanut butter bc
Lemon Cake
Orange Creamsicle cupcake. Vanilla cake with orange creamsicle bc
Root Beer Float cupcake. Vanilla cupcake with Root Beer bc
Carrot Cake with Creamcheese frosting
Chocolate Spice cake with chocolate bc
Coconut: Vanilla cake with coconut bc

(lots of vanilla with the different frostings allow you to keep baking the same flavor cake without it becoming a boring flavor.)

cownsj Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 49

Oh, and strawberry cake with vanilla bc and/or chocolate bc

JaimeAnn Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 49

Those all sound good.

I personally would probably steer clear of any cream cheese icing if it is going to be outside for a long time, especialy if it is going to be a hot day.

JaimeAnn Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:42pm
post #11 of 49

Those all sound good.

I personally would probably steer clear of any cream cheese icing if it is going to be outside for a long time, especialy if it is going to be a hot day.

cownsj Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:14pm
post #12 of 49

I agree, I'd stay away from cream cheese too. (even though I threw it out there for consideration)

CourtneyLS99 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:28pm
post #13 of 49

Wow, thank you everyone. And yes, the Relay color is purple. I'm going to be using purple cupcake liners, white liners, and purple with white polka dots.
The kinds that I wanted to make were Mocha Cupcakes, Chocolate Salted-Caramel Mini Cupcakes (those would be delicious at night), Snickerdoodle Cupcakes, Jumbo Cream-Filled Cupcakes, Lemon Cupcakes, Chai Tea Mini Cupcakes, Brown Sugar Pound Cakes (cupcakes), and Chocolate Chip Cupcakes.

CourtneyLS99 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:31pm
post #14 of 49

And yes, I hate making a ton of cupcakes too.
But it will help raise a lot of money for a great cause!!

kayjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayjess Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:33pm
post #15 of 49

I make a French Vanilla cake with lemon curd filling that is really light and fresh and everyone seems to love!!!

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:41pm
post #16 of 49

You have to be careful with any nut flavors- so many people have that pesky nut allergy that if they eat something that has been in contact with nuts they are in serious trouble. It's a pity too, because my absolute favorite cake is chocolate with peanut butter ganache-- I don't really like cake that much (overexposure?) but I CAN NOT pass on chocolate and peanut butter!

SPCC Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:44pm
post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyLS99

Wow, thank you everyone. And yes, the Relay color is purple. I'm going to be using purple cupcake liners, white liners, and purple with white polka dots.
The kinds that I wanted to make were Mocha Cupcakes, Chocolate Salted-Caramel Mini Cupcakes (those would be delicious at night), Snickerdoodle Cupcakes, Jumbo Cream-Filled Cupcakes, Lemon Cupcakes, Chai Tea Mini Cupcakes, Brown Sugar Pound Cakes (cupcakes), and Chocolate Chip Cupcakes.

These all sound great!! And your liners sound really great as well. I must be an odd baker because I LOVE LOVE LOVE cupcakes!!!

JaimeAnn Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:15am
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCC

These all sound great!! And your liners sound really great as well. I must be an odd baker because I LOVE LOVE LOVE cupcakes!!!

I love a good cupcake too! I usually pass on cake but give me a good filled cupcake anyday!

CourtneyLS99 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:36am
post #19 of 49

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love to eat cupcakes!! I'm just not very fond of making them...I honestly don't know why.

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:56am
post #20 of 49

I've made the Devils food cupcake and the Yellow buttermilk cupcake both recipes were excellent.
I did pipe some rasberry jam into the devil/f cc's.

SPCC Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:33pm
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyLS99

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love to eat cupcakes!! I'm just not very fond of making them...I honestly don't know why.

I love making them! It might be because they are easier to give to my kids but I love them. My next cupcake idea is for the theater my husband works at. They are putting on a play of Annie. I am going to make red velvet cake and orange frosting. icon_lol.gif

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:17pm
post #22 of 49

I love cupcakes too! If you want red velvet with cream cheese without the real cream cheese get the Jello cream cheese pudding mix and Lor Ann has a cream cheese oil that can help beef up the flavor of cream cheese. Also Strawberry with lemon buttercream is a great combo. Also pound cake and chocolate truffle and strawberry with white chocolate. I have lots of combinations that I offer to my customers if you want more please let me know. I sell alot of cupcakes and cake pops.

CourtneyLS99 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:02pm
post #23 of 49

Oh man, those sound good. I would very much like to know others!!

CourtneyLS99 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:02pm
post #24 of 49

Oh man, those sound good. I would very much like to know others!!

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:21pm
post #25 of 49

Sure here are some other combos I have:
Peanut Butter with Chocolate/Peanut Butter BC
Chocolate Raspberry- Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Raspberry BC
America's Oreo- Chocolate cake with oreo BC
Banana Cupcake with Honey-Cinnamon BC
Pound cake with Honey-Cinnamon BC
Rootbeer float
Amaretto dream
cocoa orange with orange bc
bubblegum flavored cupcakes
raspberry cake with lemon bc
lemonade cupcakes
white chocolate with white chocolate bc

CourtneyLS99 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 10:07pm
post #26 of 49

Thank you very much!! icon_biggrin.gif

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:52pm
post #27 of 49

I made some from scratch cupcakes the other day to look like the chocolate hostess cupcakes, they were a big hit with homemade twinkie style filling and all. Delish and reminded everyone of childhood treats! icon_smile.gif I got the twinkie filling from scratch recipe from a woman who sells out of homemade twinkies and homemade hostess cupcakes on a daily basis. I think I could find the recipe if you're interested. icon_smile.gif

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:07pm
post #28 of 49

Another good cupcake combination is a strawberry cupcake with chocolate frosting. You could put some kind of strawberry garnish on top like a strawberry shaped/colored candy.

This is the strawberry cake recipe I use:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Cake-from-Scratch/Detail.aspx

cownsj Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:46pm
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatSomeCake

I made some from scratch cupcakes the other day to look like the chocolate hostess cupcakes, they were a big hit with homemade twinkie style filling and all. Delish and reminded everyone of childhood treats! icon_smile.gif I got the twinkie filling from scratch recipe from a woman who sells out of homemade twinkies and homemade hostess cupcakes on a daily basis. I think I could find the recipe if you're interested. icon_smile.gif

I'm interested in the recipe. please, please, please....

CourtneyLS99 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:34pm
post #30 of 49

Yeah, I'm going to be making a cream-filled chocolate goody, then coat it in ganache. It has a marshmallow cream filling.
Oh and last night I made some lemon cupcakes and they were AMAZING!! It was "Martha's Meyer Lemon Cupcakes" recipe, but I made it a tiny bit different.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%