How To Attach Real Ribbon To Cake Tiers

Decorating By sherylshirley Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 12:19pm by mayo2222

sherylshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherylshirley Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 8

What should I use to attach ribbon to a fondant covered cake? I've never done that before and need it for a cake next weekend. Thanks!

7 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 8

Just use a dot or two of icing or clear gel, in the back (or under a flower) ,to secure the ribbon, not to tight but snug. You usually don't have to secure it anywhere else. You want to try and hide your connection because the icing or gel may bleed thru the ribbon. Hope this helps.

sherylshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherylshirley Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you terrylee..yes that helps.

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:31am
post #4 of 8

Where on the cake are you putting the ribbon? I just used a pin in the back and made sure the ribbon was pulled snugly. HTH

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:10am
post #5 of 8

i curious about how everyone connects the ribbon. When i tried it i battered the cake trying to connect the ribbon, not so cute!!! is there a strategy you all use?

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:56am
post #6 of 8

I put a dab of royal icing at the back of the cake attach one end of the ribbon and when it dries I pull the ribbon around the cake and place another dab on the end of the ribbon and attach. Never had a problem with it. Hopefully that helps

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 8

You can also overlap the ends and secure it with double sided tape (not touching the cake).

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:19pm
post #8 of 8

I just use edible glue which is simply mixing 1/4 tsp of tylose/cmc/gum-tex to 2 Tbsp of warm water. Mix them up and let the tylose dissolve. Now you have edible glue which you can use to attach ribbon, flowers, etc.

Just make sure to keep the left overs in an airtight container in the refrigerator. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%