Help With Shape

Decorating By JennasNonna Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 12:43pm by JennasNonna

JennasNonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennasNonna Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 11

Hi There. I need an opinion. I am making a cake for my son's 30th birthday next weekend. The party is a Las Vegas theme. I am following a few ideas here on CC website. I will be a 3 tier... My idea was to make the top tier 6 inch square white fondant with black circles to replicate a die. The next two tiers are 10 inch and 12 inch tiers. I wanted to make them round, but now i am not sure. Can i make the bottom tiers round and the top square or should I do a square 12 inch, round 10 inch and square 6"?
I am fairly new to this and am still kind of nervous.

10 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 11

may be way too much cake -- (based on 2x2x2 size piece = 1 - 2" layer cut in 2x2 squares)

but I'd do the 6"square die - (27 servings: 3 layers @ 9 2x2 servings each)

on a 10" round poker chip -- single 2" layer ( about 16 servings)

on a 11x15 playing card. -- single 2" layer (35 servings with trimmings left over)

so that would be enough for about 78 people
LL

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 11

thats a great idea Doug I'm always impressed with ideas you come up with!

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:38am
post #4 of 11

Wow...another winner from Doug! icon_eek.gif I am always super impressed with your ideas, not to mention your incredible diagrams! thumbs_up.gif

Nacnacweazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nacnacweazel Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:57am
post #5 of 11

NICE DOUG! I'm with iamcakin also, diagrams are awesome. thumbs_up.gif

JennasNonna Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 11

thanks so much.... i will post pictures....

JennasNonna Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 11

ok... so let me get this straight...the dice is in 3 -2" layers - how would you cut that... should it be cut horizontally? i am completely lost as to how this would work icon_surprised.gifops

Doug Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 11

a die is square.

so bake 3 - 2" tall (standard cake pan height) 6x6 cake layers (get a 6x6 square cake pan.)

if you don't want to by a new cake pan....

then bake two 9x13. Cut 2 - 6x6 from one and 1 6x6 from the other and bribe the family to stay out of the kitchen with the scraps.

now stack the 3 layers one atop the other to (with filling) and you have your 6x6x6 size die.

JennasNonna Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 11

i get that part but you posted that from the square i would get 3 layers at 9 pieces each... (27 servings: 3 layers @ 9 2x2 servings each)
how do i cut that? do i have to divide the layers before i cut the 2" servings? sorry, i know i sound like an idiot but i don't understand?

Doug Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 11

just disassemble them -- in this case would not put in filling, but just lay each layer atop the other.

then pull apart into the 2 separate layers.

cut each in third in both directions and viola -- 9 pieces from one layer.

JennasNonna Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:43pm
post #11 of 11

That's what I thought but I was thinking of the filling and it all didn't make sense. Anyway, The bottom and middle tiers will work for numbers and I will fill and ice the top tier and save it for the family the next day. That will give me a perfect cake to cut after lunch.
Thanks again so much.... i love the idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%