Newbie Needie Help With Lettering

Decorating By bohemiagetsajob Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 2:13am by bohemiagetsajob

bohemiagetsajob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemiagetsajob Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 6:34am
post #1 of 7

I am extremely new to cake decorating and I just decorate cakes for fun for family and friends. I am doing a sports jersey cake for my nephew's birthday party at the end of the month and I need help with the block lettering. How can I make sure it's straight and even looking? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. I've become addicted to this site because everyone seems so supportive. Thank you in advance!

6 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:40am
post #2 of 7

Hi and welcome to CC!!!

If you have a letter cutter set..... that's the best way... if u don't... I reccomend buying some stencil paper (blank) @ a craft store... printing the letter(s) from your PC and carefully with an exacto knife trace the letter into the stencil paper to cut it the exact way... then use that either as a cutter or as a stencil...

hth

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Hi and welcome to CC!!!

If you have a letter cutter set..... that's the best way... if u don't... I reccomend buying some stencil paper (blank) @ a craft store... printing the letter(s) from your PC and carefully with an exacto knife trace the letter into the stencil paper to cut it the exact way... then use that either as a cutter or as a stencil...

That's similsr to what I do, except I used waxed paper. Before I lay it on fondant, I put a little oil on a papertowel and gently wipe the fondant or the waxed paper, it helps it to stay put for me to cut out the shape with an exacto knife.

If it's going onto buttercream, put the cake in the freezer for 15-20 minutes for it to firm up, longer is necessary. I used the basic buttercream recipe (shortening, powdered sugar, flavoring, water), lay the paper on top of the cake and use a toothpick to trace the pattern and then fill it in.

Hope this helps!!!

hth

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 7

Hi. I'm just a hobby baker too but I don't go to nearly the trouble the others do. I can print with paper and pencil just fine so for block letters on a cake I just use a small amount of buttercream in a parchment paper bag with the tip #3 usually, and to make sure it is straight, I use my husband's laser level; just stack it on a book or can or whatever to get the right height and beam that laser across the cake. Write away and it's quick and easy with that small parchment bag. You can look at my pictures to see what you think. Hope that helps.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 7

For larger letter like on a jersey I use my Wilton alphabet cookie cutters. You can either cut out of fondant or lightly press into buttercream and fill in the lines with more buttercream. HTH

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 7

For larger letter like on a jersey I use my Wilton alphabet cookie cutters. You can either cut out of fondant or lightly press into buttercream and fill in the lines with more buttercream. HTH

bohemiagetsajob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemiagetsajob Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:13am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so much! I knew I could count on everyone to pull me through.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%