Hard Crust On Chocolate Cake

Baking By vincenta Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 12:12pm by vincenta

vincenta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vincenta Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 4

Just made the WASC (chocolate version) and the top of the cakes had a hard crust which I had to remove then turn it over so that would be at the bottom.

What would cause this - too hot a oven or maybe I should have used my baking strips.... Love the taste of the cake but have to figure out what made this cake crust before I can use the recipe again.

I am sure one of you experienced bakers out there will be able to help me with this... I am addicted to this forum as I find I learn so much from all of you.

Thanks.

3 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 4

I have also noticed that about some chocolate cakes. I hope you get the answer.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 4

Hi there, I used to find I got this problem too. sometimes it is the oven too hot and it is rising too quickly forming a crust while the inside is still cooking, or doming and the top breaking. I find putting a piece of greaseproof paper over the top when you put it in the oven really helps. just cover it loosely like a "hat" so it is not touching the cake it stops it from rising too quickly and the top crusting. I also find a tray of water in the bottom of the oven helps to keep the cake moist and prevents cracking and drying. Put a folder strip of greaseproof paper around the tin or your strips will help too. hope this gives you a good result. icon_smile.gif

vincenta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vincenta Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your input. I have since had my oven turned down and I think if I had used the baking strips I have it would not have had such a big dome and the crust. Will make it again and see what happens.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%