Beet Sugar Vs. Cane Sugar

Decorating By firewithin Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 9:14pm by badkitty

firewithin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firewithin Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,
Newbie here. I attended a Wilton class a few years ago and the seasoned teacher told me cane powdered sugar was preferred over powdered beet sugar for making frosting (beet is grown locally and less expensive) What is the verdict? I have not seen it mentioned.
Thanks!

6 replies
ambernd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambernd Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 7

Beet sugar does not taste as good as cane sugar. It has a weird wang to it ha ha.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 7

Not only can I not tell the difference,the beet sugar has the advantages of costing less and being vegan.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 7

I've never noticed a difference in taste, but here in the UK the locally produced beet sugar doesn't produce icing quite as white as cane sugar does. Of course, it really doesn't matter unless you are going for bright white. I really only notice it when I make royal icing.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 7

I have never tasted a difference...

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 7

They smell quite different. I use cane.

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 7

It depends on how the sugar is processed, different factories have different equipment. I write this while looking out my window at the beet (sugar) factory a mile down the road.

SOME beet sugar may not be processed to the same degree as most sugar is (cane or beet), it's simply a matter of older equipment. With most, there is very little difference. Besides, once it is refined, sugar is sugar and you can't tell where it originally came from...beet or cane. I prefer to use beet sugar, simply to support the beet growers in Idaho, US farmers need all the help they can get icon_smile.gif But if my local farmers were growing cane, I'd probably buy that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%