Do I Agree To Do A Cake I Think Is Ugly?

Decorating By SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 7:49pm by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 13

The bride sent me a pic of a cake that she "LOVES". I personally think its U-G-L-Y. Obviously everyone has a different opinion of "pretty". I did this cake, and I think my version of the cake is UGLY too! But it's the style... that I don't like. My question is...do I continue to do cakes that I think are hideous, or do I turn them down? I don't want to put out work that i'm not pleased with.... but I think it's just that I don't like the style of cake, not that I didn't do a good job......where do you draw the line?

12 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 13

I think you should do them, as you said it's just the style you don't like and if the customer is happy with the work you're doing then I don't see a problem.

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 13

I recently did a cake that I thought was completely tacky and ugly. So far out of style, etc. Yet, it was what the customer/friend wanted. Since it was their wish and not mine, I did it. I HATED the cake! After their event was over, I got 3 phone calls, telling me what an amazing cake it was and they were so pleased (You can see it in my pictures. It's the heart shaped cake). It's all a matter of what the customer wants. NOT what we want, unfortunately. Just my opinion. Happy baking! icon_smile.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 13

yeah, I guess you guys are right....I always try to please the customer. But I just worry about people looking at this strange style of cake thinking "who made that ugly thing" LOL

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 13

I said do the cake but don't put it on your website. So you get the money without compromising your style icon_biggrin.gif

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGFan

I said do the cake but don't put it on your website.

I agree with doing that, and as long as your customer is happy, then you did a good job icon_smile.gif (even if it's not your style).

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 13

I've had orders like this and then the people call and say........."is my cake on your website yet, I've been looking for hours and I can't find it!" so I'm forced to put it on my site..............in which case I put under the photo....................
" This cake with puke green buttercream and mustard(baby poop) yellow ribbon and dirt brown polka dots with blood red stripes was designed by the bride!"

Then people know it wasn't MY idea!! lol

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 13

Oh, I haven't thought about that. Bad taste people sure being persistant!!Heehee icon_smile.gif

Bekah1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bekah1984 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 13

I don't do as many wedding cakes as some of you, but out of my portfolio I've had one cake picked 4 times. Frankly it's a pretty cake, but I get bored! So I tell my customers that I will give them something "similar" to it, but more tailored to their tastes and wedding. Most people are thrilled that they get a one of a kind creation for their wedding. I also tell people who bring me pics from magazines or the web that I don't feel comfortable copying other cake designers work, but would be glad to work on desigining them something in the same style.
I've never had someone hate their cake (thankfully), and I do my best work if I feel like I get to be creative and not just a cake reproducing machine! I usually ask people to bring/pick several cake ideas and then we wrork together to combine it into something more "them"!
Just my two cents...

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 7:12pm
post #10 of 13

I told the bride I would do something similar, but that I would not copy the cake. She agreed to that. But with this particular cake, there's not much to it...it's really simple, but the way the fondant is on the cake is very different. I wish I could post a pic so you guys could see, but I don't want the designer to think I think her work is ugly... I think most of their work is fantastic! Just this particular cake that I don't care for. Like I said before, we all have different opinions, so I guess unless it will just kill my soul to do the cake...I need to just suck it up and do it. LOL
I normally have people who know what they want, and it's usually something I've already done...but sometimes you do get that bride that's like "I dont know what I want"...in that case I tell them to send me pics of cakes they are drawn to and we will come up with something that fits her personality.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 7:15pm
post #11 of 13

I've refused cake orders based on design before, but it was because they wanted something that I thought was inappropriate and went against my beliefs and didn't want to be a part of it......UGLY cakes on the other hand......you just suck it up and hope THEY like it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #12 of 13

I think "simple with just a ribbon around the base" cakes are ugly.
I think cakes with stripes or polka dots are ugly.
I think stacked cakes look short and squatty .... ugly.

But I made these cakes all the time. And brides liked them and re-ordered them over and over.

But it's not my cake. It's not my decision. It's not my money.

No one elected me Cake Queen (yet! icon_biggrin.gif ) so I don't figure it's my job to tell a bride "My god your taste sucks! Here, let ME with MY superior taste show you what you SHOULD have!" icon_lol.gif

I see lots of clothes walking around in public that I think are ugly but if I ran a retail shop, I'd carry them becuase that's what the public wants.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 7:49pm
post #13 of 13

Debi, I think you are the Cake Queen LOL....
I guess I'm having a problem with this one because it's not your "typical" cake. It's very odd, and I can't see how ANYONE could think it's pretty icon_confused.gif I'm just worried everyone at this wedding will look at it with their heads cocked to the side, while thinking about submitting it to cakewrecks LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%