Cross / Bible-Book Shaped Pans ??

Decorating By SusyQz Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 4:59pm by SusyQz

SusyQz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusyQz Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 5

Hello
I want make my daughter's Communion cake and trying to decide between a cross or a "Bible" shaped cake...For the Bible shape is there a pan for this ? or do you cut the cake in the middle to make the look of a book ?? Same for the cross, is there a pan shaped cross or are you cutting out the cross ? I am a beginner decorater so anything suggestions is so appreciated.

Thanks!
Sus

4 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 5

There are pans for both....but they will limit you to a specified amount of servings. If you are up for carving, you can make either cake out of the size cake you need fairly easy. There is an awesome template here on CC how to cut a cross out of cake. I love it, as the wilton cross pan is beveled and hard to ice/decorate. With the bible, cut out your center "V" groove and place that carved out cake on top to make your book look rounded instead of flat. Hope this doesn't sound too confusing.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 5

You could go buy a cross shaped pan, or you can just cut it out from a sheet pan. What I've seen done is you cut the sheet cake down the middle, the long way. One side is now the vertical part of the cross. Then you take the other half that you cut, cut in half the short way and they become the horizontal part of the cross. Place the cake pieces together and frost as one big cake.

The book, same sheet pan. You could just cut out a bit from the center and sides to make it look like an open bible. Or you can buy a book shaped pan. Wilton offers both a cross and book shaped pan.

But if you can make them both out of one pan, why not????

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 5

Here is the cross template provided by Doug. It is awesome!
http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo-585813.html

SusyQz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusyQz Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 5

Thank You both very much !! Appreciate the info and tips...I am going to make a practice one this weekend !

Thanks Again !! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%