Rounded Top Edge On Square Cakes??

Decorating By cakelover613 Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 5:49pm by summersusu

cakelover613 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 4

Hi I'm new here. So I recently had someone ask me to do a wedding cake, and I've been doing strictly birthday cakes for about a year. I agreed, and the cake she wants, I am not sure how to get the effect of the rounded off edges on a square cake. The only tiered cakes I have done are round ones! So I am wondering how I do I need special pans? Here is a photo of what she's looking for. She wants this cake for May 15th.

Thanks for the help!

3 replies
aztomcat Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 4

Aime, this cake is covered in fondant which gives it the rounded corners. I have also taken a paring knife and slightly trimmed the square edges off of the top at an angle and done a smooth buttercream to make the same effect. You should make a small square and give it a practice.

There are curved pans you can buy but you can do this effect with out them.

good luck.

dee in az

cakelover613 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you! I'm glad to hear I'd rather not have to buy special pans! I'm very excited..but nervous because it's such an important event! Not like doing a birthday cake at all!

summersusu Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 4

yeah, my square cakes always come out rounded on the edges and with the fondant hopefully it should happen pretty easily....good luck, i have my 1st wedding cake in june.

Quote by @%username% on %date%