Icing A Cake- Really Need Help.

Decorating By SusanKB Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 12:55am by prterrell

SusanKB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanKB Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 4

How much icing do I need to put on a cake and do I have to put a crumb coat on first? I am currently in Course 1 of the Wilton classes and every week we need to arive at class with a iced cake. Well every time I do mine I go to smooth my cake out and I get get like a roll of icing at the edge, so I think that I'm putting to much on. So how much is enough?

3 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 4

The Wilton "way" is to crumb coat, let crust and apply and smooth the actual icing. All that is covered in the book. Have you asked your instructor to help you?

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 4

crumb coating is always a must, if it is for a client or event, but for class, I wouldnt worry about it too much. It would depend on the size of the cake, and how much icing you want on it. Are you putting the icing on top first? you should, then the icing that rolls to the outer edges is what you use to do the sides with. (or atleast that is how I do some of my smaller cakes.) hth

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:55am
post #4 of 4

The instructor should have gone over this in the first class. If you are still having trouble with it, your instructor is the best person to ask.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%