Type Of Wire To Hold Up Fondant Shape Sprays?

Decorating By Em51308 Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 3:01am by mamawrobin

Em51308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Em51308 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering what type of wire is needed to hold up fondant shapes that are sticking out of the top of cake. It seems every wire I find doesn't seem strong enough! Any information would be greaticon_smile.gificon_confused.gif

6 replies
marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 7

I suppose it depends on their size and weight I did a cake at the weekend ( not in my photos yet) but I braided 3 wires together then taped them and they held up really well but were still flexible enough to move into position.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 7

What are you trying to wire? how big, heavy etc. What gauge wire are you currently trying to use. usually a 14 gauge will hold up heavy gumpaste flowers etc.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:43am
post #4 of 7

I use 20 gage...there have been a few times I have twisted two of those together but usually just one strand will work. Remember to insert the wire into a coffee stir stick or thin straw before inserting it into the cake...wire and cake do not mix.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:46am
post #5 of 7

I did one this past weekend and used solid copper wire, not sure of the gauge, I played with them to find what I thought would work. I bought the wire at the hardware store, it had a thin plastic insulation coating which I removed by using an exacto knife then washed it thoroughly. I cut them to legnth curled the shape, added my fondant pieces and inserted into the cake. My thinking on the wire was hey it matched the colors fabulously, and hey it's copper, we eat out of copper pots and pans so I wasn't worried about toxicity. Anything other than copper, I would use staws or stir sticks

Em51308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Em51308 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:37am
post #6 of 7

thanks everybody for the input!

I haven't actually tried using any wires yet, i just look at the different ones I have seen in stores and they seem very bendy, but I wanted to on my next cake though so was curious what would be the best type to purchase.

Of course it depends on what I plan to stick on the wire. I was thinking just shapes cut out of MMF.

I am definitely a cake amateur thanks so much for inputting, it has given me a lot to think about!

and I will definitely make sure to place the wire in something before putting it in the cake, I had not even thought of that factor before! icon_redface.gif
Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:01am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianaguerrant

I did one this past weekend and used solid copper wire, not sure of the gauge, I played with them to find what I thought would work. I bought the wire at the hardware store, it had a thin plastic insulation coating which I removed by using an exacto knife then washed it thoroughly. I cut them to legnth curled the shape, added my fondant pieces and inserted into the cake. My thinking on the wire was hey it matched the colors fabulously, and hey it's copper, we eat out of copper pots and pans so I wasn't worried about toxicity. Anything other than copper, I would use staws or stir sticks

Copper wire is really a great idea. I've never really thought about using that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%