Gum Paste Vs. Fondant Decorations On Butter Cream

Decorating By MELE Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 3:57am by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

MELE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MELE Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 4

I need some advice on which decorations to make for graduation cakes. My clients all want butter cream cakes (no fondant). Do I use fondant or gum paste? I have used gum paste in the past and it seemed to fall apart.

3 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 12:08am
post #2 of 4

I have used just fondant and they hold up OK.....but lately I have been mixing 1/2 and 1/2 fondant and gumpaste and my finished product comes out smoother and it's easier to work with....the fondant gets too dry to quickly....the 1/2- 1/2 mixture drys in a few days and seems stronger and less breakage than plain fondant......

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:50am
post #3 of 4

I make almost all of my decorations out of gumpaste. They are much sturdier once dry. The other advantage is the people can save them for years if they want, just brush any frosting off before storing.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:57am
post #4 of 4

Depends on the kind of decorations you are talking about. If it's a 3D figure, then gumpaste will probably be best, or like terrylee suggested a half and half mix (which I do a lot). If it's something that will be served with the cake (when sliced) I suggest fondant because it will taste better than gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%