Business Name Question

Business By KKristy Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 2:07am by letsgetcaking

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 14

For 6 months we have been brainstorming possible names for our bakery/cafe....so with my long list in hand, I've started crossing off names....most of our possibilities..at least my favorites are already taken somewhere in the US....my very favorite name is a current bakery in canada.....yikes....I don't want to put my name in it _____'s Bakery (not that there is anything wrong with that), I just wanted something different, memorable that stands out.
how to you come up with a name that has not already been taken ?

13 replies
smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 14

I'm not a pro, but I think if it was me I would experiment with some words or phrases you'd like to incorporate in other languages, ie "Cake Nouveau" or "Couture Cakes". There's "Precioco" (precious in spanish) or "bellissimo" or "Molto Bello"(beautiful in Italian)...you get the idea. HTH

cakemeasIam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemeasIam Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 14

and keep in mind its a personal reflection too... where do you get your inspiration? why do you cake and bake? just questions for you to answer to yourself... who is your client?
we were just sitting around with friends when our name popped up and it stuck. some people hate it some people love it...but for a new business at least they are talking about it. put your own spin on it! you can do it! good luck!!!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 14

I've been bouncing around ideas for a biz name as well, all part of coming up with a business plan. icon_smile.gif

My mom swears one is great, while I prefer another. Either way, you'll know the name that's right for you when you hear it. You won't be able to get it out of your head!

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 14

You know, someone in the US (I'm Canadian) happens to have named thier business the almost exact same thing as me.. I'm talking like added an s on the end.. I don't think it's that big of a deal since they're not even close to being compitition, also, thier website is sooooooo different from mine... so maybe you should give your first choice another look? icon_smile.gif Unless of course its some big chain bakery that will think nothing of legal action... lol... can I ask what the name was?

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 14

Here's a cute story of how my biz came to be calles "Sugar Momma's". I called my BF (who was living out of town going to school at the time) to tell him that I have just gotten 3 more cake orders. He said to me "Maybe I don't have to finish to school, I've got a Sugar Momma!". I thought it was cute and it just sort of stuck.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 14

When I started a coffee shop, I thought I would use the name "The Second Cup." Well, I went to a coffee convention before I opened and got such negative comments about the name that I finally asked what the problem was. Guess it was the name of the largest coffee company in Canada and apparantly not very well liked by small vendors. When friends and I brainstormed names, I got kinda silly. I had two dogs - so "Casey's Coffee" and then "Jessie's Java." Well, Jessie's Java it was. Funny thing was people would come in and ask for "Jessie." Or, telemarketers would call and ask for "Jessie." Employees would laugh and say they was no "Jessie" or "Jessie was outside taking a *****"
To do good brainstorming, the idea is to start writing or calling out names but don't judge them. Once you start evaluating a certain name, your brainstorming stops. (I love to watch the Apprentice - but, boy, do they need a lesson on good brainstorming!!)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

Funny thing was people would come in and ask for "Jessie."

I worked for a company and the president's name was "Gerald" ... the "G" was pronounced like the "G" in "gone", not like the "G" in "giraffe". And he went by "Gerald".

We'd find it so funny when sales guys would call and try to get their foot in the door by asking, "Hey is Jerry in today!"

I had a fax line in my shop but if people called information for my shop, they'd be given the fax number. So I had to put a message of "You have reached the fax line of Cater It Simple. Do not leave a message as this voicemail is not checked. Our office number is xxx-xxx-xxxx. If you are in sales, please ask for Suzanne in purchasing."

There was no Suzanne. If I got a call asking for Suzanne, I knew it was a sales pitch and told them she had just left on errands! icon_lol.gif

Voicemail ..... a great time management tool! icon_biggrin.gif

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 12:38am
post #9 of 14

Please share the name you like best. Maybe we can come up with a way to add to it, so that it's still what you like, but more unique so that it won't sound just like a competitor's name.

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 12:50am
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the replies !
I want to have a name that you don't have to guess what product you are offering...I've drove by places, saw their sign, and wondered what they were (but didn't wonder enough to stop, lol)

muddpuppy - my favorite name was Sugar Dust Bakery ( already taken by a bakery in Canada)...Story: my Grandmother was the person who I most looked up to when I was growing up...she was the one stable person in my life - anyway when I was little she was my first baking instructor and she always joked about how I got "sugar dust" all over everything in the kitchen...

jeng1482 - see I love a good story behind a name - yours is cute !

Debi - I love that ! I will have to remember that - you always teach me something and make me laugh in the same post !

Keep the stories coming about how you chose your names !
Can you believe that on my list of 13 names - 10 are already taken...or course you can !

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:35am
post #11 of 14

I know you didn't want to use your name in the title, but what about

[Grandma's name]'s Sugar Dust Bakery

Sprinkle Sugar Dust Bakery

Scatter Sugar Dust Bakery

Coated in Sugar Dust Bakery

Covered in Sugar Dust Bakery

Powdered Sugar Dust Bakery

The Sugar Dusted Bakery

The Eat My Sugar Dust Bakery

wildflower_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower_girl Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:39am
post #12 of 14

How about Sugar Dustings?

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:49pm
post #13 of 14

The Eat My Sugar Dust Bakery

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:07am
post #14 of 14

It's too bad that Sugar Dust is already taken. I really like that idea.

More ideas:

Sugar Dots Bakery

Sugar Dust Sweets

The Sugar Dust Fairy

The Sugar Dust Pixie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%