What Filling Can Go With Fondant?

Decorating By Donny13 Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 2:51pm by Donny13

Donny13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donny13 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:06am
post #1 of 14

This may be a stupid question but, if a fondant covered cake CANT be put in the fridge, then, am i right to say that my choices of fillings are limited?
If so, is there a rule of thumb when deciding? or what are my options, is there a list somewhere of fondant "friendly" filling? Obviously im a newbie to this and this question may seam stupid, but the answers would help me out alot. I designed a cake for my sisters engagement party and at the last min. after buying all the ingredients i found out that i couldnt use a fresh rasperry and whipped topping filling. So as you can imagin this will save me alot of grief next time.

Thank you!

13 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:41am
post #2 of 14

You can use anything that is shelf stable. I use RIch's Bettercreme, it is like whipped cream only stable at room temp. You can mix lots of things with it to flavor it different flavors. You can also use the sleeved fillings, those are all shelf stable too. LOTS of options.

And to add to the mix, there are some that DO refrigerate their fondant covered cakes. (I am not one of them though). icon_wink.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:56am
post #3 of 14

There's no hard and fast rule on putting fondant covered cakes in the fridge. I've done it and they've turned out just fine. Just give the cake time to come to room temperature and, if necessary, have a small fan on low speed near the cake to help any condensation evaporate. I didn't even need the fan and the cakes were just fine.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:39am
post #4 of 14

Nearly ALL of my fondant cakes, including my last 8 uploads, go in the fridge. It's a bit of a myth, although I will admit that some fondants seem to refrigerate with better results than others. If you are making MMF be sure to add glycerine for best refrigeration results. I like Michele Foster's recipe for refrigerating, it seems to sweat less than MMF. Commercial fondants refrigerate just fine. Use the filling you want!

circus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
circus Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 14

I just had someone ask for a carved camaro cake on an ice cream cake road. Needless to say the fondant covered car went into the freezer and was frozen solid. It thawed just fine. The fondant was a little soft but hardened again. That was homemade MMF I guess I should add...

Donny13 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 14

Thank u all so much for all the valuable advice! I made a cake back in june and refregerated it, it was humid as hell and when i took it out it was sweating....i had the celing fan on but it HAD to go outside for the cake cutting, i used Wiltons fondant. Anyway, thats why im apprehensive about doing so.

Loucidna: where do you find Richi's betercream and what is "sleeved" filling?

Thanx again guys, as usual ur such a tremendous help!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 14

Wilton's fondant is fine for practicing or for dummy cakes or anything that won't be eaten, but it shouldn't be used to cover the cake or for anything that will actually be eaten.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 12:06am
post #8 of 14

From what I have gathered from reading this forum if you live in a humid area you will have problems refrigerating fondant as it will sweat when you take it out - if you live in a dry area you don't get the same problems. I'm guessing the type of fondant may also determine how it behaves...

I use ganache as filling and covering for my fondant cakes as it does not need to be refrigerated (this in not whipped ganache by the way, that does need to go in the fridge)

Donny13 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:39pm
post #9 of 14

Well if i dont have the time to make the fondant, are there any other brands than wilton that i can buy and will tast good and behave the same way? I have 2 cakes in May and i havent perfected my MMF yet it always comes out too soft and stickey.....add more PS right?

Bunsen: A non-whipped ganach filling is substantial enuff to make a 1/2 inch of filling wont it just pour over? or r u talking about something different?

Thanx again guys! ur the best!

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 14

Donny 13 -- Pettinice and Satin Ice are both good commercial fondants. They handle well, refrigerate fine (unless it's very humid), and taste fine. I've never even tasted Wilton because it is so universally considered to be awful. Both Pettinice (my favorite) and Satin Ice can be found on line. You can buy it in varying quantities and if you keep it airtight in a cool, dry place, it keeps for a long time. So you can buy enough to make the shipping price wothwhile.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny13

Bunsen: A non-whipped ganach filling is substantial enuff to make a 1/2 inch of filling wont it just pour over? or r u talking about something different?

It's a thicker ganache that you let set before you put it in the cake then you spread it on. I put about 1/4 inch as a filling - its really rich, like chocolate truffle so you don't want it any thicker. Use 2 parts dark chocolate to one part cream or 3 parts white or milk choc to one part cream.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 14

You can get Rich's Bettercream at GFS (Gordon Food Service) stores. It is in the frozen food section, by their whipped topping. It is in a quart size milk package that is pink and white.

Sleeved fillings, you can get them at most cake supply stores. It is basically shelf stable fruit fillings, in a clear long package (sleeve) Here is an example:
http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?productId=619073

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:26am
post #13 of 14

I agree, I would never, ever put Wilton on a cake, even if I intended to have everyone peel it off. What if some of that nasty taste transferred to my icing? Blechh. I use it for figures from time to time and so I got brave and tasted it. It was as awful--or worse--as everyone always says. It honestly tastes like it is not meant to be eaten; it tastes like I would assume play-doh or clay or who-knows what tastes. If you want to avoid shipping costs, you can always call around to cake shops and restaurant supply stores just to see if any of them carry real commercial fondant.

Donny13 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:51pm
post #14 of 14

Thanx again so much! Im going into this with a little more confidence now, that means alot to me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%