Playing Cards In Cake?

Decorating By jayne1873 Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 1:54pm by tame

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:03am
post #1 of 8

Someone has requested a poker type cake with cards standing up sticking out of the cake. I have explained that I do not have an edible printer or access to one (and bakeries in Uk dont print for you like in US).
I have said I can make out of gumpaste but the design on the cards would be hand painted so basic clubs, diamonds etc but they have now said could I get a new pack of playing cards and insert them into the cake.

Not thinking this would be food safe but can anyone else come up with suggestions.

Thanks

7 replies
ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:32am
post #2 of 8

The only thing I can recomend is copy the playing cards on a regular printer ; make sure its card stock. and then get another piece of cardstock and cut it just a little bit bigger than the size of the card.

then put the pop dots in between each paper and glue a flat tooth pick in between and stick that into the cake. I believe my Abby Cadabby cake is done that way. I can show you more if you want ot PM me.

samcfi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samcfi Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:50am
post #3 of 8

You could print them with a regular printer and them laminate them. Then you could have them touching the cake with no problems. Or you could use ebay. There are many people on there that will print up anything for you as an edible image.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:41am
post #4 of 8

What about just making a little base to put each card onto, say out of fondant or melted chocolate or gumpaste? If you want the cards to look like they are sunk in to the cake, cut them down a bit for the illusion. Similarly you could make card-sized rectangles out of gumpaste and stick the real cards to that just like you would have done (well sort of) for the edible image.

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:27am
post #5 of 8

Could you get them printed somewhere and just add the cost to the cake price.

I only paid £6, that's less than $10 for an A4 sheet. You could get quite a few playing cards printed on that. Then you could cut them out and attach to rolled out gumpaste cards.

Good Luck

Lyndsey xx

heidemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidemarie Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 10:33am
post #6 of 8

Take a Look at Pastry Chef Central, they have 20 Playing Cards for 28.00 . Those Cards are Edible.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 8

Do you have an airbrush? The last ones I made... I took a playing card and cut out the shapes on the card. Rolled out gumpaste and put the playing card on top of it like a template or stencil... then just airbrushed it.....worked great!

tame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tame Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 8

I did one and inserted the cards with a toothpick , should be my photos

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%