Which Brand Of Fondant Should I Use?

Decorating By joyfullysweet Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 4:04am by KATHIESKREATIONS

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 20

I've only used Wilton so far (yuck!). I want to order some to make my daughter's birthday cake. I'm going to order from Global Sugar Art. I was going to order the Satin Ice, but I read some posts saying that people were having trouble with it. What other reasonably priced brand to you suggest? Pettinice, Fondx, Choco-Pan?
Also, I'm not sure how much I will need. I'm making an 8-inch and 6-inch, each will be 3 layers of cake, plus fondant decorations.
Thanks for your help!

19 replies
Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 20

I personally love FONDX. Nice texture and tastes great.

joyfullysweet Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 20

Thanks, anyone else?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 20

I have only used Satin ice and I really like it. Had some samples one time of Pettinence and Choco-pan and loved the taste, but price wise at the time satin ice was better and i haven't tried anything else now since that is what my customers are used to.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:30pm
post #5 of 20

I use Satin Ice. Yes, I do have occasional problems... but I use the 20 lb tubs, and go through 1 to 1 1/2 tubs a week. The majority of the time it's fine.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 20

i would say pick a brand, any brand, and go on the basis of price! at least for getting started with different brands.

http://www.rolledfondant.com/product.htm has a guide as to how much fondant you will need. i usually add on a bit more to be on the safe side. so total 22oz/ 620g, plus extra for the accents. (i think!)
xx

joyfullysweet Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 20

Thank you so much. I think I'll try Satin Ice. Anything will be better than Wilton! I was going to get a 5-pound bucket, but looking at that chart, 2 pounds should be more than enough!

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 20

Have you tried making your own? I use Rhondas MMF Fondant and have to say I love it.

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 20

I have ordered Satin Ice only once and it was great to work with, no problems but for I like to make my own. I make Rhondas MMF as well and it is great to work with.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 20

Making your own Marshmallow fondant is inexpensive and delicious. But when I make wedding cakes I purchase large tubs of Petitice (spelling is questionable?). I especially love their chocolate fondant which tastes like fudge and I can't keep it out of my mouth while working with it.

There also is a new company called Fondarific from the east coast created by two teachers. It's delicious and when you open the container it smells like a Starburst candy. It comes preflavored and precolored. Their Buttercream white is delicious.

joyfullysweet Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:51pm
post #11 of 20

I have made my own mmf, but haven't been happy with my results. I seem to very inconsistant making it! Sometimes it's sticky, sometimes too hard. Ugh! I like using mmf for cookies and decorations, but I don't know if I'm comfortable rolling it out and covering a whole cake. I'm looking for something that would be best for a "rookie"! I've only covered about 3 cakes in fondant before (not counting those I just used fondant decorations). It's my daughter's first birthday, so I'm making her cake just with buttercream. The fondant cake will be for our guests.

stickernoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stickernoodle Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 20

Have you ever tried Duff Goldman fondant??? It's TO DIE FOR. Don't know if it's available in a store near you... just popped up in our Michaels lately. It's SO GOOD! Tastes just like buttercream icing. Yummy!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:24pm
post #13 of 20

duffs icing actually is satin ice! branding genius at work there.
xx

stickernoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stickernoodle Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:26pm
post #14 of 20

Thanks for the info! Great to know.... maybe I can get it cheaper somewhere else then icon_wink.gif

joyfullysweet Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 20

Wow! Duff's is Satin Ice? How can he get away with charging so much more?! Of course, how can he get away with charging a minimum of $1,000 a cake too! lol I looked on Michael's online, but it's not listed. Maybe I'll have to venture down to the store.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:05am
post #16 of 20

We use Fondarific. They have buttecream, vanilla, and chocolate as the main flavors for cake coverings and then they also have about 12 fruit flavors. Although it is higher per pound than others, you won't be using as much. It is also self-healing so if it tears when you put it on a cake, it pieces back together very nicely. It is made in Savannah, GA so it's been created to work in high-humidity areas. Also, our clients will actually EAT fondant because of the taste. They love it!

Paul

mmlj316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmlj316 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:28am
post #17 of 20

I'm with Sweet_Guys! Fondarific is great! Satin Ice is okay but Fondarific tastes much better!!!! I tried Chocopan but it was really hard to work with!!

eperales0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eperales0411 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:47am
post #18 of 20

I use Satin Ice and have not had any problems with it, I have also tried MFF (Michele Fosters Fondant) and it tastes very good, but I did have a little bit of trouble with it being a little too dry, but I managed to fix it and it worked out great and like I said the flavor is awesome. You can find the recipe here at CC. Good luck.

fondarific Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondarific Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:26am
post #19 of 20

Hi to all,

I guess I need to clear up the confusion about Duff's new fondant. He does have a wholesale line with Decopac, which is Satin Ice, and he also has a retail line, which is in Micheal's Craft stores and it is Fondarific.

Take Care!
Laura

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 4:04am
post #20 of 20

Gosh, I have been in my Michael's, Ellicott City, Maryland, about twice a week & have never seen it. Sure hope it comes here soon! I heard Fondarific was really good to work with and taste. They also have lots of fruit flavors. Is this the same fondant, listed with GSA also, I am thinking about? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%