Can I?

Decorating By AnnaReed Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 11:25pm by catlharper

AnnaReed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnaReed Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 6

If I make/decorate a sponge cake today (Monday) (gonna try the staggered look,hopefully!) will it still be fresh and OK for eating on Friday? icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 6

Are you talking about a angel food type of cake or a pound cake type of cake? A pound cake might be okay because they are pretty moist to begin with. I think that making and decorating today for a Friday delivery might be pushing the envelope a little. The icing might be really crusty and starting to dry out. Can you bake and crumb coat today and freeze until Wednesday night and then take out and let defrost in the refrigerator and then decorate on Friday?

AnnaReed Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 6

Was thinking of a Madeira cake

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 6

I have made a cake on a sat and covered in fondant the next day, finished off etc in the week and it was eaten on the following sat and I was told it was fine. It was made for a friend but I was having a back op on the Weds so the latest I could offer was the saturday before and she said it tasted as good as my freshly baked ones.
Also Lindy Smith states in her book a week to ice/decorate the cake and then a week to eat so if she says you can I guess you can

AnnaReed Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 6

Thankyou, I would have thought it would be ok, just wanted 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 6

If you can then make the cake today, freeze it and then decorate the day before delivering. It breaks up the work load and seems to make it more manageable while keeping the cake fresh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%