Some Questions On Guitar Cake [Urgent]

Decorating By nadia0411 Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 7:09am by nadia0411

nadia0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadia0411 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 6:20am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,
I have an order for guitar cake on thursday and i m kinda nervous since there are so many first times. Please respond, even if its a slight hint.

1. The guitar requested is 25" long with perishable fillings, so i am planning to make and decorate, neck and base separately, decorate, lay them on wax paper covered board for easy lifting and assemble them 1/2 hour before client picks up with dowel and RI, so you think this would work? Only strings will be piped at last.

2. Client requested 3 layer chocolate cake for base and 3 layer vanilla cake for neck, all filled with choc mousse and fresh cream with fruits. I make choc. cake from scratch and vanilla using WASC, do you think scratch cake when refrigerated will loose its moistness? should i use box mix for choc. too? if yes then which recipe? or do you think ganache can seal in the moistness?

Please help.
thankyou,
Nadia

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 7:02am
post #2 of 9

2) as long as the cake I properly sealed - either clingfilm, or just icing, it won't dry out.

1) That is a big cake. And if it has to be dne that way, it sounds like the best way to do it. But I would get back to the customer sand strongly advise them to change the fillings.

Also, will they have spce for it to sit flat on their car? The air con should be running too, help keep it cool. How long til they plan to serve it?
xx

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 9

Hi Nadia
Hope you are feeling more confident about your cake now! I did a guitar cake (see my photos) and that was about 20" so quite big.

I did the base and neck separately, filled and shaped each part then fondant iced each part then lifted togther.

I didnt ice my strings, I used silver cake wires but you have to tell the client if you use these so they remember to remove them!!

Hope it goes well.

Jan x

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 9

Hi Nadia
Hope you are feeling more confident about your cake now! I did a guitar cake (see my photos) and that was about 20" so quite big.

I did the base and neck separately, filled and shaped each part then fondant iced each part then lifted togther.

I didnt ice my strings, I used silver cake wires but you have to tell the client if you use these so they remember to remove them!!

Hope it goes well.

Jan x

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 9

Ganache is great at holding in moisture, but yes, you'll want to wrap the cake well. I love using fondant, since it holds in the moisture even better, regardless of refrigeration (though I always freeze my cakes before carving, which also gives great moisture) ... but that doesn't address your perishable filling question. I assembled the guitar cake in my pics the same way you describe, as far as the different pieces of the guitar coming together (the very head of my guitar was RKT). I made my guitar strings with fondant and my clay gun, which worked really well to avoid using non-edible material ... just an option icon_smile.gif. Good luck!

nadia0411 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 9

yes i am feeling a bit more confident, thanks all for your help. so here is my plan:
1. i will bake cakes and freeze and thaw.
2. i will torte, carve the two parts, fill and wrap it well and put in fridge so filling can set.
3. i will then ganache and put in fridge again. How do i wrap at this point? is it necessary or only ganache will do?
4. i will then cover in fondant and place in fridge again.
5. Fondant accents and strings yes, i will either do buttercream or fondant, i like cakes all edible.
6. Will join them before delivering.

the client is really firm, she want same perishable fillings and long guitar [red color and i make and color my own]. she has large deep freezer and big car, that length was specifically measured and give to me.

guys, ur cakes look great, thanks a lot for sharing experience.
Nadia

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:05am
post #7 of 9

After your ganache, I would let it set and wrap loosely with plastic wrap, so you don't ding your ganache before it hardens. Also loose plastic wrap after the fondant, just so condensation settles on the plastic and not the cake, so it doesn't dissolve your sugar. Good luck!

Jesses_Girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesses_Girl Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:32am
post #8 of 9

The clay gun works great for the strings as opposed to RI, only because of the ability to get them much straighter. You have to have a VERY steady hand to get the six strings spaced perfectly with icing. I've tried it both ways. It sounds like you have a client that knows exactly what they want. Guitar cakes are tough enough without that. Best of luck to you! icon_biggrin.gif

nadia0411 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:09am
post #9 of 9

thanks, yeh i do plan to make strings with clay gun, actually i have a cookie cutter,

just for information, i managed to convince the client to have non perishable fillings so things are easier now. just praying for red fondant and strings now. icon_biggrin.gif

u guys are great

Nadia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%