Ok..deep Breath..my Turn To Show My Website

Business By -Tubbs Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm by cylstrial

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:22pm
post #31 of 40

Great job on the website! It's happy, cheerful and really contemporary looking. Love the lettering, colors and basic design. Very easy to navigate. You do beautiful cakes, by the way!

Someone mentioned making it possible to enlarge the pictures - that'd be great. I love being able to click on a photo and have it show up bigger.

The one thing that really stood out for me is that you've used a picture of a Martha Stewart slice of cake. Did you get permission from them to use it? And as a customer, I might have some reservations that you're not showing a slice of YOUR cake and I'd wonder why...might make people think that your cake isn't as pretty as Martha's which, based on your lovely cakes, I very much doubt is the case. I'd take a photo of YOUR cake on a plate and use that just so everyone will know that your cakes are just as pretty inside as they are on the outside.

Great job!

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:25pm
post #32 of 40

I think we all know many decorators aren't in licensed kitchens, but I don't think the public at large as any clue about that issue. Maybe putting that fact in your q & a page would be the best way to inform people.

megmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megmarie Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:30pm
post #33 of 40

OP: I liked the Green and Pink, very cute! The white background looks okay on my computer, I am not sure if you changed it or not. Only thing I would say is that the pictures were not that sharp/bright looking, especially on the pricing page. You do lovely work, you should show it off with some bigger and brighter photos! If you don't have editing software on your computer there are a ton of free ones online including www.picnik.com.

Great Job!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:34pm
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Great job on the website! It's happy, cheerful and really contemporary looking. Love the lettering, colors and basic design. Very easy to navigate. You do beautiful cakes, by the way!

Someone mentioned making it possible to enlarge the pictures - that'd be great. I love being able to click on a photo and have it show up bigger.

The one thing that really stood out for me is that you've used a picture of a Martha Stewart slice of cake. Did you get permission from them to use it? And as a customer, I might have some reservations that you're not showing a slice of YOUR cake and I'd wonder why...might make people think that your cake isn't as pretty as Martha's which, based on your lovely cakes, I very much doubt is the case. I'd take a photo of YOUR cake on a plate and use that just so everyone will know that your cakes are just as pretty inside as they are on the outside.

Great job!

the photo of Martha's cake is grainy (at least on my end). i don't think you really need it. perhaps you could take a close-up of one of your cakes instead? doesn't have to be a perfectly sliced cake...just look yummy!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:49pm
post #35 of 40

You're absolutely right regarding the Martha Stewart cake slice. I took one picture but it wasn't good enough to use. I am working on that as we speak (just took a cake out of the freezer to slice and photograph).

I also wanted more of a thumbnail gallery, but didn't know how to do it. I think I will go back and work at that. I also really like it when the photo pops out when you click on it.

Regarding the quote/quotation thing. I thought that one asked for a quotation ('quote' being the abbreviated form), and the actual act of providing the quotation was the 'quote' part, as in "I quoted for that job". Is this incorrect? I've googled and cannot find a satisfactory answer. It matters to me - grammar nazi that I am!

I am very proud of all the hard work I put into getting a separate legal kitchen and I'm going to shout it from the rooftops! There are a number of illegal home bakers near me and I want to differentiate myself from them.

Thanks again for all this great input!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:12pm
post #36 of 40

These compound words:
"co-ordinating"
"store-front"

are also words...
"coordinating"
"storefront".

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:18pm
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcassano

can i get in on this action too? not all my pics are in the gallery yet, but there is a decent amount.

www.cake-topia.com

Loved your website. Also very happy colors. Only thing I would complain about would be the pics. If I want to look at wedding cakes I have to go one by one instead of just clicking on the wedding gallery. I have no patience. lol

And I would be worried about the sponge bob and any other character cakes you might have.

HauteCoutureCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HauteCoutureCookies Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:45pm
post #38 of 40

OP loved ur site. I think it looks great. I also like urs tiffani_1. Very nice and I especially LUV, LUV, LUV the #13 cake. Beautiful! I can?t wait to be next w/my own icon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 6:14pm
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tubbs

Regarding the quote/quotation thing. I thought that one asked for a quotation ('quote' being the abbreviated form), and the actual act of providing the quotation was the 'quote' part, as in "I quoted for that job". Is this incorrect? I've googled and cannot find a satisfactory answer. It matters to me - grammar nazi that I am!

You are correct. "Quotation" and "quote" are both nouns, but "quote" is also a verb. You can request a quote (or quotation). You can quote a job.

This is from freedictionary.com:

quote (kwt)
v. quot·ed, quot·ing, quotes
v.
1. To repeat or copy the words of (another), usually with acknowledgment of the source.
2. To cite or refer to for illustration or proof.
3. To repeat a brief passage or excerpt from: The saxophonist quoted a Duke Ellington melody in his solo.
4. To state (a price) for securities, goods, or services.
v.intr.
To give a quotation, as from a book.

n.
1. Informal A quotation.
2. A quotation mark.
3. Used by a speaker to indicate the beginning of a quotation.
4. A dictum; a saying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English coten, to mark a book with numbers or marginal references, from Old French coter, from Medieval Latin quotre, to number chapters, from Latin quotus, of what number, from quot, how many; see kwo- in Indo-European roots.]

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #40 of 40

I really liked your website! Very cute colors!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%