I Need Help!

Business By jennbryanfrank Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 9:45am by 60sBunny

jennbryanfrank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbryanfrank Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 6

I have not posted on here in awhile. But I have continued to make cakes and other yummies for friends and family. I have ran across a opportunity to open my own bakery/cake shop. I will be doing anything from muffins and loaves of bread to huge wedding cakes. I need to know all the things I need equipment wise and anything else. What do you recommend. Price is not a factor. Thanks for your help. icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 6

A sound business plan and a great web site.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 6

Equipment wise will depend somewhat on what your local Health or Ag department requires. But most you will need a 3 sink system, Commercial refrigerator, Commercial Freezer, Lots of wire storage racks (can get very inexpensively at Walmart), stainless steel NFS work tables, Oven or Ovens depending on what you are baking. If you are doing breads you will need a proofer, possibly a dough sheeter, Gosh there are so many small wares and cake decorating tools you will need, cake pans, muffin pans, bread pans, rolling bakers racks, ingredient storage bins for your flours, sugars, etc. Possible stove top, microwave, plastic goods, paper goods (boxes, parchments, cupcake/muffin liners...etc.) Mixers both countertop and floor. Most places require a grease trap, your HD will let you know what size is required. Signs, advertising, display cases refrigerated and non-refrigerated. Merchandising racks. If you are allowing people to sit and eat then tables & chairs, serving baskets or plates, utensils, beverage dispenser...etc.

As you can see the list can get pretty long, and manytimes you won't realize you needed something until you NEED it...LOL! Congrats! and best of luck to you! So where is your shop going to be?

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 6

To be totally honest with you........when you wrote "price is not a factor" alarm bells went off in my head. That makes me wonder if your ready for a serious business.

jennbryanfrank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbryanfrank Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:09am
post #5 of 6

Price is not a factor because I am not the one paying for the business, I have someone else who is purchasing all the stuff for the business. He wants me to get the top of the line everything.

60sBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
60sBunny Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 9:45am
post #6 of 6

I Think what stitches means is that the key to business is price, and so it is always a factor.

Having an unlimited budget is good to hear, there are people on here who have gone in with 50-100K and not managed to open the doors.

There are other equipment threads where people have left their entire shop practically... even buckets, and soap.

certainley go for the best equipment your money can buy you but shop around, take advantage of refurbed equipment, administration auctions etc. If you spend your funds wisely not only will you have more money left in the pot should something go wrong, but it will set you up for the wheeling and dealing with wholesalers and suppliers essential to the profitable running of a business.

Plus should you decide you need/want to expand your business or replace soemthing, your benefactor may be more willing and generous given how savvy you have been with their funds in the first instance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%