Stacking 4 12X18 Rectangle Cakes

Decorating By DivinelyDelicious Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 1:40pm by DivinelyDelicious

DivinelyDelicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivinelyDelicious Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:25am
post #1 of 5

What is the best most secure way to stack a 4 layer cake each layer will be an 12x18?? Should I put a thin cardboard between each layer? or just stack then put dowels to secure? This cake will have to travel stacked.

4 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 5

the rule of thumb is supports and board for every 4" of cake. So i would layer the first two with a filling in between then do the board w/supports and then stack the next two layers on with filling.

HTH

DivinelyDelicious Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 5

THANK YOU for responding,by supports do you mean dowels through the cake and board?,they apparently dont make the thin plastic stackers we use for wedding cakes in any other shape than round.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 5

put the first 2 layers together with frosting. put in some dowels. wooden or plastic(bubble tea straws. they are bigger. if don,t have them. use the wilton wooden ones. then the next 2 layers that are on a cake board. then i would put 2 dowels down thru the whole thing. you say you have to travel with them. in other words , you have 4 layers. it should end up at least 8 " tall. is your layers at least 2" tall. thats a big cake. hope i read it right. if i did this is how i would stack and carry it.hth please have your first 2 layers on a thicker board. 1/2 " foam board, something like that. you get at michaels, etc.

DivinelyDelicious Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 5

Great idea and Yes it will be very tall,I went to the local cake supply store and got a strong heavy board for the 1st two layers,It is a 3D 80's Boombox cake for my daughter's cast party,also having a lil trouble making the handle realistic made it from gumpaste so hoping it will dry enough just not as perfect as I want it on the sides

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%