How Do I Do This

Decorating By SandiOh Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 12:21am by Sagebrush

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 12

love this cake, any ideas on how to get this effect? I don't think it's ribbon. Anybody know?
TIA
Sandi
LL

11 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 12

my guess - embossed with a little wheel tool

then piping gel mixed with silver luster dust roughly piped on to follow the embossing.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 12

I have no clue but Doug's idea sounds good...I LOVE those flowers and the color of the cake..it's really pretty.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 12

I was thinking along the same line as Doug. The lines look like they're indented into, not lying on top of, the fondant. I saw Mary Maher do a similar thing once on Amazing Wedding Cakes. She just took a fondant veining tool and made lines all over the fondant. This cake looks like they then filled them in with luster dust.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 12

My thought is dresden tool and hand painted silver luster dust or even disco dust mixed w/ vodka and hand painted.

SandiOh Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 12

cool! Thanks everyone...gonna give it a go...

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:00am
post #7 of 12

Agreed, embossed and gilded. It's a lovely cake.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:38am
post #8 of 12

I like Doug's idea and I love the cake. The flowers are beautiful and I also like the color.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:58am
post #9 of 12

I think if I were to try to do this, I would take some dental floss, wrap it around the cake like a ribbon, and pull tight so it would make an indent. Then, I'd pipe sparkle piping gel along the lines that were made.

BTW... did you find that cake here on CC, or maybe flickr? I'd love to add it to my favorites.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:00am
post #10 of 12

Definitely looks like piping gel with luster dust and/or disco dust, which is a larger grain and glittery. I actually have some of this in a piping bag in my kitchen icon_smile.gif - the lines look indented and filled in with the glittery piping gel. Have fun!

SandiOh Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:05pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush

I think if I were to try to do this, I would take some dental floss, wrap it around the cake like a ribbon, and pull tight so it would make an indent. Then, I'd pipe sparkle piping gel along the lines that were made.

BTW... did you find that cake here on CC, or maybe flickr? I'd love to add it to my favorites.

here is the link, I found it on flickr... http://www.flickr.com/photos/nada-sweethope/3055935001/

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:21am
post #12 of 12

Thank you, Sandi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%