Cupcakes In A Cup!

Baking By officialamysue Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 11:35am by Evoir

officialamysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
officialamysue Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 15

So, i have been getting critiques on how the cupcakes are really messy from papercups. I came up with a great idea to just do cupcakes in a cup since thats how it started out back in the old days! I need opinions on that? And since i can find ceramic cups for a buck each, maybe i should charge a dollar extra per cupcake? not sure where to go on that... help!!

14 replies
luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 15

How are they less messy in a ceramic cup? Eat with a fork?

officialamysue Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 15

no eat with a spoon. i made a batch for redhat ladies and put them in ceramic cups and they liked the idea that it was less messy than papercup cupcakes. i just want more opinions if it would be a better idea that way.

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 15

I think you could offer to do that for someone who specifically mentions that cupcakes are messy, but for me, eating a cupcake with a fork would just take all of the fun out of it icon_biggrin.gif But I like frosting on my nose....so....maybe that's just me!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 15

Ok. well take a look at this. I'm sure that you could get the small mason jars for just as cheap, and this would look WAY cuter!!!
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=10856855

malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 15

Who washes up the cups? icon_biggrin.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 15

I don't think u can replace traditional cases with the cups. Good idea, and I bet it looks good, and will attact it's own clients, but you would need to offer both I think. Plus, the extra cost will b a factor in how popular they are!
xx

officialamysue Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 15

mason jars are way cute! but would hate to ruin my frosting designicon_sad.gif maybe "glue dot" the lids to the bottom of mason jar and when theyre done they can screw it on...?

bakeawish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeawish Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 15

what about an edible cupcake cup? I have seen small waffle bowls with the ice ceam cones at the grocery store..everything is more fun when you can eat it!

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:08pm
post #10 of 15

I'm not sure of the walffe bowls but when I've bake in the regular cake cones they get soft really fast. So I have only baked the day that they were needed. These were just for my kids classes not for sale. Just put your batter in the cones in a muffin pan. Also I would not bake in cups because of all the talk of chemicals, but you could bake in greased muffin pan then place in your cups HTH

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:46pm
post #11 of 15

I have seen this done before. I think for special occasions they would be cute, but on the regular....I don't think the papers are messy and there is nothing to clean-up but maybe lick your fingers.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:14pm
post #12 of 15

I think this would be a special thing to offer for groups such as red hat ladies or some older book club ladies. Makes me think of the "finer things" club on The Office.

It is a good idea as something to offer, but I don't think I would make it a common practice. As malakainrop asked, who washes them? Do they get returned? If they are only a dollar a piece, you could just tack that onto the price per cupcake, but I'm sure someone is going to ask if you could refund that extra dollar for every cup they return and I just wouldn't want to have to deal with that hassle.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 10:09am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

i have been getting critiques on how the cupcakes are really messy from papercups.

If a guest has a problem with the consumption of their cupcake, then they should direct complaints to the host/hostess, not you. I hope you directed them to the person who ordered the cupcakes.

If it is the client who makes them complaint - they made the decision to have cupcakes. The selection of having cupcakes instead of cut cake rests with the client.

Either way, there is not "dainty" way to eat cupcakes: and, regardless, it is the host/hostess' choice - nothing to do with you ...

FYI
Some cultural historians are of the opinion that the term "cupcake" originates from the fact that they were originally baked in individual pottery cups in the 19th century ..

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 10:43am
post #14 of 15

[quote="auzzi"]

Quote:
Quote:

Either way, there is not "dainty" way to eat cupcakes: and, regardless, it is the host/hostess' choice - nothing to do with you ...

which is why, as a guest, I do not prefer cupcakes at a wedding. I've gotten all dressed up, with full face makeup (which I just don't normally do anymore), and then someone wants me to shove an icing covered confection in my face, getting goopy icing under my nails as I unpeel the lining?

Again .... AS A GUEST .... PERSONAL PREFERENCE .... not a debate on whether cupcakes are appropriate or not .... just PERSONAL preference.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:35am
post #15 of 15

I quite like placing a paper cupcake on a plate, peeling down the sides, then eating my cupcake with a fork. Whats wrong with that? Folks can use their own china plates then, and not bother you with providing china cups. icon_smile.gif

I was only going to say this though: be wary of really cheap china/glassware/ dinnerware etc. Lots of glazes are unsuitable for baking with, and I suspect there might be some nasties in the cheaper stuff on the market.

Personally I wouldn't do it <<<shrug>>>.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%